For people considering Ubuntu

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CoFaRotheRu, Feb 5, 2007.

1. CoFaRotheRu

CoFaRotheRu New Member

I've used Ubuntu for a while, and I've grown quite fond of it. It does the job, and I've even installed Doom3 and some other games on it, which works nicely. Setting up Ubuntu can be hard, but it doesn't have to be. If you have never tried Linux before, I would wait untill the next release in april, which is shaping up to be a lot simpler for first-time users. So if you're wondering if you should try it, then waiting a few months would be the best, in my humble oppinion.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What's the scoop on the new release? What are they improving?

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

The third alpha is out a few days now. http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/herd3
    That's one improvement that strikes me as nice, as well as the searching, the networking, and the virtualization (which apparently may be pulled out).

Those there are only for the latest alpha (although that was apparently the beginning of the end of the most major improvements).

Looking at the older alpha pages, these take my eye:
    (check out that bug #1!)
    (This doesn't mean wine will be installed by default, btw, I don't think it will be, but it's in the repositories)

+ new games (chess woot!)
    + this I quite like.
    also..
    plus the usual localisation improvements etc..

release schedule: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeistyReleaseSchedule
    spec listing: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty

they're doing great work as usual I think. A young OS it is too, it seems to be making some strides! Their last release was only at the end of October like..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  4. deusexaethera

Damn. Yeah, it's pretty clear now that what Linux really needed all along was a billionaire philanthropist sugar daddy.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

does it have proper ATI support yet?

When I wanted to go over to Ubuntu (6.06 and 6.10) i've noticed it fucked me over because I run an ATI card. (9600xt). The fixes are hit and miss and most of the time you will not have full 3d support.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Ubuntu is a pretty major player in the GNU/Linux desktop fight.

Along with SUSE, Fedora Core, Mandriva...

The billionaire philanthropist sugar daddy helps a bundle, but things would be done without him, but not so quickly, no. What I'd love to see is exactly what he's put in and taken from the GNU/Linux world (it is Canonical LTD, and they make money from support) - how much money they shell out for the full time Ubuntu developers.. Most of the development without a doubt I'd say is done by unpaid contributors.

I'd love to know how viable Canonical would be without Shuttleworth's wealth.
    I get very decent (although not perfect) 3d acceleration out of the box on Ubuntu with my radeon 9700 pro. The newer cards, ATi are refusing to provide docs that the Ubuntu devs can use, so the reverse engineering is still going on.. slowly.

Write to ATi to file a complaint if you like.

But yes, as I understand you should be able to install the official ATi drivers. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto

7. antiyou

antiyou OT Supporter

uncalled for

8. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

I don't care enough to write a complaint. I've gone mac & :love: OSX.

I've used the ATI Official Drivers, but you then don't have support for composite and DRI, so it's still broken.

9. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

What's the significance in not having composite and DRI? Most distros seem to care more about the binary drivers than the free DRI ones - shipping Xgl configured X servers faster than DRI AIGLX.

How, practically, is anything broken with the binary drivers?

And oh yeah, that reminds me. The next version of Ubuntu will ship these binary drivers, a decission I wasn't impressed with at all, but I bet some people here will be.

I should be seeing a lot less "I couldn't install Ubuntu because it doesn't recognise my 9990gtzLolz series graphics card!" complaints.

Hopefully when nouveau (free nvidia 3d driver. A kind individual raised $10,000 for the developers recently) and the free 3d ati drivers get better, Ubuntu can get back using them.

10. deusexaethera

I have to confess, my machine is running with whatever drivers it figured out for itself. Installing drivers on any of the Linux distros I've tried (or perhaps even just finding them) has probably been one of the most frustrating things I've done on a computer.

11. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I agree, I don't install drivers either usually, because every GNU/Linux distro has them outof the box, essentially (except the binary blobs which I am NOT interested in, but I bet you would be, that's why Ubuntu and others have simplified installation methods. See the wiki page I linked to above). When they don't, you can nearly be 100% sure you can blame the hardware manufacturer.

And that's recently become more true than ever since the Linux kernel community started offering all companies free Linux driver development. http://kerneltrap.org/node/7636

12. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

One of these days I'll do an edu on installing and using linux. I'll do a clean install and document every step from power on to usable system. :o

13. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Tried to install drivers for my ATI card as well, finally got them working 2 housrs later. Tried Ubuntu for a good 3 hours then reinstalled XP.

I'm glad to see other OS'es out there but damn, driver support is minimal. Once they get in the big boy leagues i'll try it again.

Something as simple as checking an IP address was fucking retardly long even googling it. Ihate wasting time like that, Windows XP for me still, sorry.

14. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

What do you mean by checking an IP address? What exactly were you trying to do?

15. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Joe_Cool.. it seems to be exactly as we (well, I know I) would've guessed.
    Since I decided to boot my Ubuntu install (actually gNewSense, but it's the same), I've been required to check this out.

System > Admin > Network Tools
    select which device you want the info for
    observe ipv4 and ipv6 ip addresses...

WTF man?

Is that supposed to be any easier? It's only harder on Windows I'd say.

It's not that Ubuntu is hard. It's that it's not hard in the same way Windows is. (hmm, but if you think of 'hard' in it's security context things are so different!)

http://illhostit.com/files/4755d38a742d58ac18dccd3c1f87a03c/hgdsaf.png

This is why MS is investing in young students and the OLPC (or at least, they're trying, rofl). They get "Windows ways" ingrained in their heads so that when they use something which well-might be better, they disregard it as "difficult" rather than just "different" even when things are actually simpler, and they're locked in not only to buying MS' operating system, but to disregarding everything else, so MS is in a pretty comfortable position. Even when the competition is better. It's the world we're living in.