For my next LCD, I want to go 1920 x 1200

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KGB ate my bread, Nov 18, 2009.

1. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

While I'd like to get another Dell Ultrasharp.. It seems that there are many other available monitors in that resolution that AREN'T $450.

Anyways, here's what I'm looking at:
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/959370/Samsung-T240-24-Widescreen-Digital-Analog/
    Samsung t240 - 24" widescreen, 5ms response time, 20,000:1 contrast ratio

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047

Asus 266h - 25.5" widescreen, 2ms response time, 20,000:1 CR

I like the Asus's price, but I wouldn't mind the USB hub on the Samsung, though I wouldn't say it's deal breaker.

Any other monitors in the sub $400 range I should look at? Any further suggestions on what i should look for or consider? I'm kinda bummed that these both seem lacking in their stands and adjustability, but that's ok with me; Just figured i'd get some input from here before making a purchase :o

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

contrast ratio and response time are meaningless numbers as there is no standard and many ways to cheat the rating, don't even bother.

The important thing is the panel type. TN's are shit, I think the dell ultrasharps use either IPS or PVA, which are far superior.

3. KGB ate my bread

they're also $500.. Fuck that.. paid that 3~ years ago for my 20.1" 2001FP, which has held up great.. but I'm not spending that price again when I'm sure the ASUS will hold up just as well;

Also, dell only does 1920 x 1200 with their ultrasharp lines.. and I'd rather get another monitor with the same vertical resoultion :dunno:

What's the easiset way to find out about the panel type? I'm sure that ASUS uses some cheap one, but I have no way of telling atm. Also, given the 300+ good reviews, I don't think it'd be a bad buy

4. KGB ate my bread

Well, apparently it's a TN :o

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

viewing angles are a sure fire way of determining if it's not a TN.

it all depends on what you do with the monitor.

i have a 26" TN monitor and it's perfect for my needs. text, movies, and games.

i'm not a professional photographer, i don't need accurate colors. i'm the only one on my pc at the time so i don't care about viewing angles of other people who aren't there. and it was cheap, $300.

nice and big. movies look great. games are fluid. wallet is not empty.

with that said, it's best to see if you can find the monitors you're looking for and look at them in person. that to me is the best way to see what monitor works for you.

6. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

TN is fine for gaming and straight on viewing. I use a TN panel monitor as my primary monitor but i also have a S-PVA panel monitor as my secondary that i usually do photoshop and stuff in.

7. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

and TN panels DEFINITELY have a faster response time, which is nice. it's easy to see this when you have two different panels right next to each other.

8. KGB ate my bread

I'm definitely looking at the specs on my 2001FP from dell and it definitely pales in comparison to the Asus; I'll probably go ahead and get the ASUS and probably score either another one down the road or just get a Dell ultrasharp later and go with 2 mismatched monitors (don't care that much) :o

Thanks for all the info; I told myself earlier today that I'd just say fuck it and not bother with ASUS but at the same time it sucked knowing I could get two of them for the price of the dell and I'd have to save a little longer before getting it.

So long as the ratings aer as good as they say they are, I'll be happy with it. I'd bought and returned a 23" a while back and the reason I returned it was because it looked like complete ass next to my Dell, and I didn't want it to just be a monitor that I'd use for browsing.

My only concerns at this point is over how well my lone 512mb 4870 will do at powering that much desktop real estate, and the less than adequate stand :o

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  9. DIABLOS

DIABLOS New Member

The Samsung is a good monitor ihave one myself, the viewing angles are pretty good.