For fuck's sake...do not get an R6 for your first bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bradj, May 2, 2005.

1. bradj

bradj give him the stick...DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK!!

A good friend of mine was killed today after crashing on his 2005 R6. He had the bike three weeks, and it was his first bike. :sadwavey:

Please, please, please people use common sense. Even older 600's can be too much for a new rider. Take it easy, don't be stupid.

:wtc:

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:hug: I know how it is.

http://www.myrne.net/friends-family/ray/ray.html

He was my supervisor at work. Great guy, lots of fun. Bought a 91 GSXR750 because his friends all bought bikes and he wanted to ride with them. My heart just stopped when I got the call from my manager saying Ray had died. :wtc::wtc:

3. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

RIP... I'm sorry to hear about your friends lost...

4. Carolyn

Carolyn Guest

My condolences on your loss :(

5. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

More info on the wreck. You say the bike was bad, but was he overconfident? My condolences, I had a friend wreck over the winter and shater most of his bones. Docs were amazed he lived, and his life is forever changed. Overconfidence is usually what kills people, but an R6 is a powerful bike for a beginner.

6. bradj

7. Smitty

Smitty New Member

damn that sucks :hug:
    Although I am against getting an R6 for a first bike, I think that its not always the bike that gets people killed. Its also a combination of people riding way over their heads.

8. bradj

I agree Smitty, he was simply being very stupid. Probably still would have happened if it was a Kawi EX500 or something. Driving 100 mph down a highway with intersections in the middle of the day is going to get you killed. Experience (and common sense...) would have taught him not to do that...

Thanks for the replies guys. :hug:

9. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

sorry about your loss, but no matter what bike he was on it would have ended the same since all sportbikes are capable of 100MPH+

be smart and same folks ... no need to meet the maker too soon

10. Esp69st

I was stupid enough for getting an 04 R6 as a first bike.. but from the first day I rode it I never had any problem with it other than missing gears and other small things. I took my time to get to know the bike, even after I bought it I waited a month to ride it. I'm sooooo soooo glad I waited till the age of 25 to get my first sportsbike. I'm still getting to know my bike everyday I ride.

I use a lot of common sense maybe too much, I also speed alot I'm not goint to deny it .. but I make sure that there are no cars parked around, no streets intersecting, or any other danger, I took the MSF and I gain alot from it. I visually scan the road and think twice before I let my instinct take over..

myself and another kid on another 04 R6 we were racing from on light to the next, I had it up to 75ish from on light to the next, all of a sudden, we caught the next light GREEN, he kept on going at about 80 mph I slow down to 30 when over the intersection slow hit the gas again and caught up, then he asked me what happened why did I slow down and I told him how unsafe it is to go over a green light at 1am, any drunken mother fucker could've came jumped on front of us and the would've been the end.

common sense is the best tool to use when riding a motorcycle...

11. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

:(

Sorry about your loss...

RIP.

12. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I live in Beaumont, serves the fucker right. That's what happens when you act stupid, get a bike, and drive unsafely. Those assholes zip in and out of traffic on I 10 where there are no shoulders because of construction , causing havoc and nearly causing me to slam into the barricade on several occasions.
    I'm only sorry that an innocent woman was sent to the hospital for injuries caused by an asshole.

13. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

14. bradj

There's no need to make such comments about a person you don't even know, nevermind the fact that he is now dead. Yes, he was being stupid and careless. Yes, an innocent person got injured due to his actions. But he was not a 'fucker' or an 'asshole'. He was a bright, nice young man who made a costly mistake.

Why don't I give you his mother's address so you can write her a letter and tell her what a 'fucker' her dead son was.

:squint:

15. bradj

Thanks Nimble, I didn't mean to imply that it was the BIKE's fault. I know it wasn't. My initial post was really just to tell new riders out there to please BE SAFE. Be careful and do not get in over your head.

16. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Evidently he wasn't too bright, speeding at a 110.
    Evidently he wasn't too nice, carelessy operating the bike at dangerous speeds, putting the rest of the public in danger just because he wanted to get his rocks off being stupid.
    If you go to eat at a fancy restaraunt, and you took time to be careful not to trip, slip or fall, because you don't want to hurt yourself, or others, or tear or stain your clothing, and some "asshole" barges in the front door at breakneck speed and then runs into you, making you fall , hurt yourself and damage your clothing, you would be justified in calling them an asshole. Especially since this person was running when he clearly should not have been, on purpose. I see no difference. It's cold hearted yes, but I'm tired of catering to pansy ass whiners who care about everyone's feelings. He killed himself and hurt someone else - Period. He deserved it. I don't feel one bit of remorse for him. He wasn't robbed, didn't die of cancer, didn't get struck by lightening or anything else that would be considered "untimely" and "unfortunate" He was acting stupidly and did not care one bit about how his stupid actions could impact anyone else around him. He didn't care, and now I don't.
    As for his mother, I feel sorry for her. I wouldn't write such a letter, I do feel compassion for her since she lost her son. I feel badly for her and everyone else who feels this loss. I know how it feels to lose a family member or friend. I'm not all cold hearted here, I feel sorry and feel compassion and pity for everyone but the guy who died.

17. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

i won't reply farther, not trying to upset anyone. Bradj, I feel your pain, i know how bad it is to lose someone you care about. I'm sorry for your loss, and his family's loss. I was simply stating my feelings about people who play russian roulette and expect pity , or more appropriately those who expect me to feel pity for someone who plays russion roulette and loses.

18. bradj

One thing is missing with your analogy...the guy barging into the restaurant didn't die.

That's fine though...I'm not looking for sympathy or remorse for him. You are entitled to your opinions about people. I just think it's the difference between calling a woman a bitch, and saying she's acting like a bitch.

He may have acted like an asshole, but he certainly wasn't an asshole. People make mistakes all the time, it doesn't mean my friend deserved to die.

Edit: Valence, I don't know where you read into me asking or expecting pity for him. Please, everyone, all I am saying is PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN RIDING! It's that simple.

19. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

ok I concede to your point between asshole/acting like an asshole

20. Esp69st

Here we go taking fucking wrong turns again, this thread is going somewhere else now.

21. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I guess you never speed?

22. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

No, I don't actually.

23. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

There is quite a difference between doing 10-20mph over the limit and doing nearly double the speed limit.

24. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

what if the speed limit is 15mph :noes:

25. bummerkit

bummerkit New Member

:rofl: :rofl: