For CS Professionals

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by et3rnul, Jul 28, 2006.

1. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I'm a computer science undergrad and I'm looking for internships. Can someone give me some advice/tips on how to land one? What are employers looking for? What skills do most employers require, and how should I go about improving them? Also if you've had any good/bad experiences, plz post.

2. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

As saturated as the IT market is right now, your image and professionalism is going to have to be a strong points in order to sell yourself. There are thousands of people just like you wanting to do the exact same thing right now. Get some business cards printed up, build a strong resume hitting all your skills, and do some social networking. You're going to have to get your name out there so when people think of needing someone, you come to mind.

Honestly, employers these days are looking for experience over anything else, followed by certifications. Even though most of us IT folks think certs are a waste of time, the people that sign our checks know nothing about IT and they are in the mind set that a cert means you know what you are doing....which 50% of the time isn't true.

Start contacting large companies in your area that would have an IT department and get your name out there. Hopefully you'll get a bite somewhere.

3. samm

samm Next in Line

Get involved in clubs and activites at your school. Potential employers like to see involvement in areas outside your studies, especially if you are an officer (president, vp, treasurer, etc).

4. YodaHart

YodaHart New Member

Work on some projects on your own or with clubs at school. Most of the things they teach at school you won't even use in the real world. Learning things on your own shows self motivation to employers. I've learned that a degree will get you an interview, but experience will get you a job.

If you get an interview with a company, do your best to learn as much as you can about the company before the interview. When they ask if you've heard of the company, you can spew out all of your knowledge and they'll be impressed.

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

personal projects i have done on the side have been a big seller that has helped land me all my jobs so far out of school.

they really show you "enjoy" the field and are interested in it...

6. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

I got an internship from my brother in law's company

a good place to look for internships is your school's career center

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Companies like to hire people that have demonstrated their ability to get shit done through extra-curricular projects they did of their own accord, or under a professor for shits and giggles.

Just sell yourself. Be enthusiastic.

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

A good idea is finding your schools programming team if they have one. You'll get tons of practical experience and it looks really good. Other than that try to get as many large projects under your belt as possible. As far as straight internships you're going to want good grades and be personable, they won't be expecting too much or shouldn't. Our school had a co-op/internship office that was great for placements.

9. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Where are you? Maybe someone on here can help since a few of us work in the industry.

10. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

Orange County, CA