MIL For CF members

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChineseSpoon, Dec 29, 2005.

1. ChineseSpoon

ChineseSpoon OT Supporter

so i've noticed quite abit of quebecers in CF, and that got me thinking, if quebec and canada really separated, would you still serve in the CF or a quebec military? just wondering do any of you discuss in this topic privately?

2. Fearan

Fearan Guest

I'm an English Quebecer, and care little for the seperatist movement. I'd most likely move out of QC anyways, if we seperate. So CF it is. :big grin:

3. eter

eter New Member

First off, I know this is just a hypothetical question, but it won't happen, and if it did, I don't think we'd be completely seperated to point of even having our own army. There would just be a new Canadian constitution.

Personally, I am convinced it is better for us to stay in the confederation, but in the hypothetical situation you described, as a francophone, I would be torn between loyalty to Canada and loyalty to Quebec, which would now be mutually exclusive. I'd without a doubt complete my contractual engagement in the Canadian army and follow all orders directed to me, but after that, the choice would be extremely difficult. I can't make a decision now. It would depend on the political context,and what my family would do. About half of them are seperatists, while the rest are federalists, some even actively involved in politics.

I am a federalist, as are the majority of quebecers in the army, but there ARE seperatists officers and enlisted personnel. I guess the interesting question is, what would these people do?

4. ChineseSpoon

ChineseSpoon OT Supporter

i'm convinced that the choice for a separate quebec is either create its own military or no military at all, i dun think canadians are willing to protect quebec(i know no one will really attack canada/quebec anyways) after separation. prolly for those quebecers who wanted to stay in CF will hhave to move out of quebec. just wondering if any of you ever discuss this topic privately with your fellow soldiers, dunno if you guys are old enough to be around with the 95 referedum? i bet that was tense in the military

5. Fearan

Fearan Guest

I've had that discussion with some people at my unit. Basically right now, not even my Pl Comd knows what would happen. There hasn't been much said at any level, so anything is speculation. What would most likely happen is Canada selling its Quebec assets to the new Quebec Federation.

For example, Quebec has 2 large bases used for a lot of training of troops from all over Canada. They'd probably be sold off to Quebec in order for Quebec to have an indepedent force. There are around 5 bases large enough to train a few thousand troops (Val-Cartier, St-Jean, Montreal, Farnham, Sherbrooke?) These would probably be used to prepare the ind. force while being substained by Canadian personel until QC is ready (kind of like what's happening in Iraq. :hsugh: )

Of course, this is all speculation.