GUN For birthday, dad will bring me to a shooting range...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by system, Nov 23, 2005.

1. system

system Guest

I asked my dad to bring me to a shooting range for my birthday in 3 weeks. He's not a shooter and has only been to a shooting range once. Simply put, neither of us know what to do (aka where they are located, what are the requirements, what we get, etc)!

I'm wondering if you guys can help give me the low down for this.

Also, I'm in Central NJ, so if you guys can point out any ranges that are good, I'd appreciate it!

2. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

phone book or call local gun stores

3. system

system Guest

But what do we get when we go there? We don't have any weapons or anything...?

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Rent a gun.. if they dont rent you can stand around for a while then leave :dunno:

5. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

first off how old are you? call up ranges, ask them if they rent guns. some do, some dont. what type of guns are you looking to rent?

6. system

system Guest

I'm 18.

Looking to do pistol and rifle.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've never rented a gun at the range before like others said look in phone book start calling to find one that rents, being in Jersey doubt you'll get to rent anything fun. As far as what to bring if they rent guns I'm sure they'll have eye and ear protection to rent too. bring a wad of cash most ranges that sell ammo sell it at inflated prices.

8. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

so um, most everything?

9. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

here you have to be 21 to even own a pistol so you might not be able to. But anywhere else when you'tr 18 and accompanied by an adult you should be ok. You need to call them. There is only one range near me that rents guns, but they rent a shitload of them out. They even rent a 50bmg :noes:

10. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

11. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

You yourself won't be able to rent a pistol, but your dad can. I'm guessing you can rent a rifle by yourself (thats how it is in wisconsin)

12. kaps

kaps :lurk: OT Supporter

I only found one place in NJ that rents guns, http://www.shoreshotpistolrange.com/news.php
    Took an hour or so to get there, only 8-10 beat up handguns (no rifles) to rent at a very high price, was there for about 45 minutes and rented a Kimber 1911 and a Berretta 92? with 50 rounds each and came to $100. Both had several FTF/FTE in only 50rnds each. The stalls had bullet holes in every angle. Did not feel too safe there. You might be able to find a diff place but I looked for a long time before I bought my colt. Good luck Best site I found for info http://www.njguns.com/

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

That's pretty expensive! The one indoor range around here is $15 range fees, $10 for each handgun you rent, and you have to buy their ammo to use in it.

If you said the guns are beat up, then the FTF/FTE's are probably from lack of care. Not being cleaned or worn out parts.

14. kaps

kaps :lurk: OT Supporter

yeah, wanted to let him know they dont take care of them, not fun when you have to keep fixing the gun in order to shoot, exp for the first time out it would turn me off to guns. I had shot a bunch of my grandfathers when I was younger though and wanted to compare before I blew a grand on my first one.

Most ranges in NJ are members only type, at least the nicer ones.