GUN For all the bore cleaning junkies

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LancerV, Apr 11, 2009.

1. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3zZ4oir3t50=&tabid=67&mid=445

"Most of the chemicals Jim Borden listed, many of which are used in commercial barrel cleaning
    compounds, etched the surface away at rates between 0.020 and 0.050 inches per year. We at
    Schuemann Barrels regard a barrel to have been substantially worn out when the bore radius is
    enlarged by 0.0005 inches (a bore diameter increase of 0.001 inch). Therefore, exposure to some
    of these bore cleaner chemicals for about 4 days would eat away the bore as much as would have
    resulted from wearing out the bore by firing tens of thousands of rounds through the barrel."

2. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

chemicals used in bore cleaner != bore cleaner

pure chemical left on for years != bore cleaner put on, wiped off, and lubed over

Most people probably over do the cleaning, but not cleaning is just a dumb. Most people can get by with some clp. Bottom line is that barrels are like ammo. They are disposable and you use them up just like anything else.

3. LancerV

I siad bore cleaning not bore cleaner

"My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod
    to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very
    slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with
    a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with
    more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets..."

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I hadn't seen that, excellent find.

Pretty cool article, and it correlates with much of the BR theory I've always heard. Interesting was his talk about moly.... My experiences have been pretty much the same. The whole point of running molly for me (besides the extra speed increase) is that I can go between cleaning pretty much forever, and you don't seem to suffer the woes of CBS/CCBS as much/at all. Cleaning with anything other than Kroil (and thus removing the moly layer) seems incredibly counter productive to me.

Question for you bigtime pistol guys..... Why don't I seem to see nearly as many people running moly in these realms? Seems as though the gains stated above would certainly be appreciated in that realm as well?

5. reman

reman New Member

barrel cleaning is overrated

6. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Once you have run moly-coated bullets for a while does the gun become less accurate shooting something jacketed?

I ask because I'm thinking about reloading some moly-coated 9mm rounds to the same velocity as my CCW Gold Dots for practice.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

While I'm not a gun cleaning freak, I do think they need to be cleaned. I'm really not that concerned about barrel life. I shoot out barrels before I wear them out from cleaning. A reasonably clean barrel is a accurate barrel.

For rifles I generally run one wet patch and then 2 dry patches before a match I care about. If I really don't care just a bore snake.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I was taught that moly is a way of life; IE, once you go moly, you don't shoot anything overtop of it.

Truthfully, I've seen/heard of some guys that would occasionally run some naked stuff over a moly bore, and I've done it on rare occasion, and haven't noticed much of a difference. Supposedly, shooting naked after you lay down a good coat of moly is bad juju.

If you are thinking about running moly stuff, it would probably be a good idea to scrub the barrel to bare metal before shooting them. This helps promote a good even coating.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Buy one before you start running moly.

Anything that I run moly through (which is about every bolt-gun), gets cleaned to bare metal once I get it.

10. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Sometimes I'll go through a few rounds of shooting before cleaning my AR's and glocks. :dunno:

maybe I am an idiot

11. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I'm talking about copper-jacketed JHP's after shooting moly, not bare lead rounds after shooting moly. Does it have the same effect?

12. kds000

kds000 New Member

hmm...i've been using kg-2 bore polish while cleaning my barrel which was recommended by noveske to do. i might need to cut back on it now

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yes. Naked = no moly.

Do whatever gives you the best results. You clean (or at least I do) a barrel when you notice accuracy dropping off, in order to hopefully reverse the situation. Otherwise, what's the point right? So shoot until you notice something being amiss. If it is, try cleaning it. Just be gentle; think of the interior of your bore as a vagina of a really squeamish girl. Don't go ramming it with foreign objects, and scrubbing it with abrasive cleaners and a wire brush.

14. LancerV

Seriously I use to do this now all I use is KG1 Carbon Remover (Nothing works like this) and weaponshield down the bore, maybe KG12 also.

Only use jags dont really see the point in a bore brush really a good jag works better.