Food Label Petition

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by synthetic, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synthetic

synthetic New Member

Hopefully I can get a sticky. THis is not jsut for transfats, but consider sugars too...

Basically I would like the FDA to standardize Nutrition values per 100g as opposed to the food producer setting serving size, which they do to be able to list their product as trans fat free or sugar free, which is most likely not true, as you can simply check the ingredients for hydrogenated-fractionated-interserfied-modified oils

Who the hell eats a "serving size anyways" ? a Serving size might be set to 1 cracker, which can be set as 0g TF thanks to FDA labeling laws, but let say has .49g per serving. you eat 12. you ate 6g of transfat ... Just as good as eating French Fries, yet you where illusion-ed into thinking you ate healthy.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FIGHT...ge-FDA-food-labeling-regulations/195560457524

2. texchef

texchef Guest

In. In like Flynn. Fucking hate food labels and the bullshit they get away with.

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

J Agric Food Chem. 2001 May;49(5):2349-51.

Non-detectable levels of trans-fatty acids in peanut butter.

Sanders TH.

Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Box 7624, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7624, USA. [email protected]

The fatty acid composition of 11 brands of peanut butter and paste freshly prepared from roasted peanuts was analyzed with emphasis on isomeric trans-fatty acids. No trans-fatty acids were detected in any of the samples in an analytical system with a detection threshold of 0.01% of the sample weight. Hydrogenated vegetable oils are added to peanut butters at levels of 1--2% to prevent oil separation. Some hydrogenated vegetable oils are known to be sources of trans-fatty acids in the human diet. The addition of these products was not found to result in measurable amounts of trans-fatty acids in the peanut butters analyzed.

4. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

Last thing your malnourished ass needs to be doing is reading food labels, EAT.

5. synthetic

synthetic New Member

I am no way near these guys but the mix of sporting i do gives me my body type... you consider other endurance athletes such as lance armstrong, dean karnaze , Haile Gebrselassie to be malnurished? Just because your ideal body type if of a juiced out bodybuilder-powerlifter does not mean someone who doesnt look like a that type is malnurished....

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I shit turds that are bigger than your legs.

7. Ish

Ish New Member

:rofl:

8. Daria

Daria New Member

omg :rofl:

9. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

Do you think these true endurance athletes are sitting there studying the fat content of foods though?

I remember reading one study on the nutrition of elite triathletes, a huge percentage had excessive fat intake, which was comprised of a high percentage of saturated fats. These guys don't give a fuck though, they just need to eat as much damn shit as possible to ride another 200km the next day.

You shouldn't be comparing your build to these guys nor using they build as a way of rationalizing your obsession with food. You have an eating disorder man.

ps. I agree with your petition.

10. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

In for petition

:rofl: for responses

11. synthetic

synthetic New Member

actually i did read some of their diets.... i couldnt find the diet of lance armstrong, but supposedly dan made his diet (during the marathon a day training he was downing about 7500 cals), who follows the caveman diet or whatever the new fad is, and they do watch everything they eat, unlike michael phelps

12. patt

patt New Member

JOINED THE CLUB

13. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Out like Timber in a health food store.

Instead of regulating to some arbitrary sample size, forcing more accurate measurements, like down to 1/100th (0.49g), would be 11ty times smarter.

Who the hell eats 12 "servings" of peanut butter besides insanely obese people and people who should already know this crap (i.e. us)?

Those of us who attempt to gain muscle need to over eat, but most non-exercising people I know (i.e. 95%+ of population) DO actually eat a serving size. How useless would it be to know how much per 100g, when you're only eating 25g? Sure 1/4 is a fairly simple operation, but to do that for every macro of every food you eat? How about a 9g serving size? It just doesn't make sense.

14. synthetic

synthetic New Member

look t tortillas/wraps, deemed as healthy - pro low carb because they dont have transfat, but the serving sizes are usually set to 25-30g, it follows the same peanut butter argument, and for sure we eat more than a serving size of one tortilla.

also @ 100g standard we can do better comparisons for buying our whey protein

as unset size would state
    Brand X / Y
    serving size: 32g / 50g
    fat: 2g / 2g
    carb 8g / 12g
    pro 20g / 30g

an anti carb freak would say to Brand Y oh nooo too many carbs im gonna die, but at 100g

brand X / Y
    fat 6 / 4
    carb 24 / 24
    prot 60 / 60

same amount of carbs if you where aiming for 60g dosage of protein, but a negative now is you have 2 extra grams of unwanted fat

yea it comes down to education, but to educate the vast lazy population is not easy. THe concern is with parents feeding children, thinking they are giving their child something healthy thanks to clever marketing servings sizes, but the kid is plumping up for some reason outside of food

15. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

This is retarded. Nutrition label on my wraps says serving size 1 wrap (62 grams) and i weighted on which came out at 65 with some moisture on it from the fridge... I can eat that wrap and realize i had the macros it lists on the label. With your arbitray 100g serving size I'd have to weigh my wrap and then realize I have to multiply the macros by .65 for my wrap to figure out what I actually ate.

I agree with Ralyks and force the laws to be changed to remove the rounding loopholes so they have to list what is actually in the food.

16. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

This is counterproductive too when brand x includes a 32g scoop and brand y cointains a 50g scoop... I'd have to have 3.125 scoops of brand x protien to hit the listed 60g protien on the 100g label :ugh:. With the current labeling I can see that 3 scoops will get me 60g protien.... What the hell your math doesn't even add up... lol carbs for x are 25g and y are 24 so your comparison that they're equal isn't even correct...

17. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Why? .25 grams of trans fats is nt going to killl you.

18. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

Hunger Strike!

19. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

I'm goin huuuunnnggggrrrrrraaaaaayyyyyyy eeeeyyyeeeaaaa

20. synthetic

synthetic New Member

I will add the rounding off rule to the petition, I would like everything do .XX significant digits.

Some protein products do list their ingredients with 2 labels, 1 showing a somewhat unofficial industry standard scoop of 32g, the other showing their recommended serving size. My math was done with out considering for decimal and fractionated portions... I make do with what little time I have on my hands

The point of this change is for comparative reasons,
    dosing / actual serving size is at will of the consumer...

at that 100g is easier to do math for measuring reasons

21. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

just saying, most need to eat dirty to make consume enough energy to train, like phelps does.

22. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

Well the FDA has no baring on labels outside of US ... but in Australia we already have strong food labelling laws. Not sure how they compare to the current state of labelling in the US.

We even have to put nutritional labels on bottles of water and expiry dates ..

23. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Serving sizes are fucking retarded. IIRC, doesn't a 16oz Monster/Rockstar/Full Throttle claim to be 2.5 servings per can?

24. TZ

TZ Banned

god, synthetic you're so weird

25. TZ

TZ Banned

uh, haven't you openly admitted steroid usage? and now you're insulting ppl who use them..and you're some skinny health freak now? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.