Food for thought on fashion trends

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Problematique, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Problematique

Problematique New Member

It's interesting how clothes are all designed around what is considered to be sexy in a period of time. Like at one point shoulders were sexually appealing, so they were focused on in fashion.. At another point, it was backs, another point, it was ankles. It was blatant tits and ass for a while and for the past couple of years, in women's clothing, there's been a strong shift towards the waist.

But really, if you think about it, which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Are clothes designed around what is considered sexy or are these body parts considered sexy because of the clothes that are fashionable?

:eek3:

2. bryanboy

bryanboy Guest

IMO trends are made by fashion editors. they're the main propellers of trends and not necessarily the designers much. the designers create clothes then it's up to the editors who take the common denominators out of the collections...

3. Problematique

Problematique New Member

So the editors create the sex appeal?

4. Tien

Tien New Member

It's just a whole conspiracy of a bunch of fashion houses sitting together and thinking up of stuff on what's in for the spring. Like this spring, the color is Yellow. Actually it's all about color again. You'll see tons of handbags in brightass greens, yellows, reds, berrys, pinks and all that junk.

5. Problematique

Problematique New Member

That's not my question at all :rofl:

Where's Jacy? She'll talk about this.

6. Tien

Tien New Member

omg i suck!! :(

7. bryanboy

bryanboy Guest

nope it's not a conspiracy.

ultimately, the colors are controlled by fabric companies and their suppliers.

each season, they get these forecast magazines on the colors of what's available etc.

while some designers especially the big ones like chanel have their own fabric factories, a lot of the designers get fabrics from the same vendors etc

i learned about this because i have a friend who works at oscar de la renta in nyc

look at this color forecast sheet for instance. this is the forecast for spring 2008 but this arrived to the offices like in june (months ahead before the sept/oct shows)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bryanboy

bryanboy Guest

the editors PUSH sex appeal not necessarily create it.

the designers create clothes, the editors + celebrities + trendy pack push/propel the trends.

9. Problematique

Problematique New Member

I hate all the pastels this season :(

10. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

true. there can be a bombass designer coming out with certain stuff but how does it become a trend with no coverage so to speak

11. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

interesting thoughts kate. I'm unsure, but thank goodness the bare midriff trend has is gone. Didn't the waif-like model trend start in the early/mid-nineties when grunge music was getting more attention? That would make sense considering that past art, music, and dance movements coincide with each other and were a reaction to the events of the time ...

I had a discussion with my past roomate who is a dance major, and we were both surprised to learn all the parallels between art and dance. For example, modern dance came about in the early 20th century as a reaction against the rigidness of ballet. Similarly, modernist art movements such as impressionism and cubism happened at the same time .. I guess it never occurred to me that these were cultural movements not just trends happening within the art community. I think this can be applied to fashion as well as visual art, dance, architecture, etc. They are all a reflection of the events and culture of the time, and that's why they are all interlinked .. these movements did not happen independently of each other.

I love studying history and I also love art, but I didn't think I would enjoy studying art history. Well, that is until I rethought what it was I was studying ... I didn't like it when I thought of it as studying art movements, but I loved it when I started to think of it more as studying history through the art.

interesting to think about

12. Faithless

Faithless щ(゚Д゚щ)

well, you already know that I think fashion is a type of art. It takes vision and creativity to make something really special, its something that can seem very strange and ugly to some people and beautiful to others.