Foobar2k

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hyukki, Oct 30, 2006.

?

Whats your favorite music player?

1. Foobar2000

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Winamp

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Windows Media Player

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. hyukki

hyukki ._.

Does anyone here use foobar2k?

It's really neat.

You should check it out if you're an audiophile... I've just discovered the importance of sound a couple of months ago and I thought I'd spread the word. :big grin:

If you have any of the audigy cards or any other good sound cards, foobar2k will have a major difference in sound quality. Windows Media Player sounds REALLY bad compared to foobar. I suppose Winamp has good sound quality as well but i like the very detailed and customizable part of foobar over the presets...

I do warn you though, foobar2k looks very boring and it takes a while to set everything up to match your style.

I just kinda wanted to see if anyone even knew about foobar. :p If you guys do decide to get foobar2k, I will give you links to steps of customizing your foobar2k for the best sound quality. :) Just tell me to post it.

Also, what are your favorite music players?

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I've been using Quintessential on my desktop for a while now... and winamp for the few times i need something at work.

I'd be interested in Foobar... i've heard good things. Post it up.

3. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

i used to use foobar, its a great audio player. however i switched to linux and now use rhythmbox which is an itunes clone with the itunes suckage.

Otherwise i will just use VLC for playing a quick file, the cpu usage is so low with it. VLC is also what I use in windows at work when I play music.

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

5. samm

samm Next in Line

iTunes on my mac
    Amarok on my thinkpad

6. hyukki

hyukki ._.

There are new foobar versions out there such as the v0.9.4.1. I use the v0.8.3. I like the 083 version better because it has many more options and functions that you need. Even though you probably won't need most of the options, you want the options that aren't in the newer version.

This is the installer:

http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd5/107601/Public/foobar2000_083_special.zip

I zipped it because filelodge wouldn't let me upload .exe extension.
    When you're intsalling, make sure you choose the 'Full' installation. :)

Since the directions are on a different forum, I'll just copy and paste with a couple of fixes. This guide was provided by a guy named Zemo, on a different forum. Some of the links do not work, so I will try to find those files/websites and post them later.

The Ultimate Guide To Foobar

Step 1: Download the foobar installer: http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd5/107601/Public/foobar2000_083_special.zip

Step 2: Run the installation and accept the default associations, assuming you’ve never installed foobar before. If you have, just make sure that the Kernal Streaming component gets installed. (try to do a FULL install)

Step 3: Download the ID3V2 tag support component: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze559m7/foo_id3v2.zip
    -extract the .dll file to your C:\program files\foobar2000\components folder.

Step 4: Open foobar, checking that 0.8.2 does load and select Foobar2000 > Preferences

Starting at the top… (I’m only gonna tell you which ones to edit, so try to keep up!)

>Album List
    -click “add new” (its up in the top right in the Views area)
    -type “By Zemo” and copy/paste this code into the window:

$directory(%_path%)|$if2([$num(%tracknumber%,2). ]$ifgreater($strstr($directory(%_path%),[%artist%]),0,,[%artist% - ])[%title%],%_filename%)

>Core
    >Keyboard Shortcuts
    -Remove all entries in the upper pane
    -find these commands and set a global hotkey to them of your choice by highlighting the command, entering in the key or key combination in the window below, checking the “global” box, and hitting the “add” button:

[main] components/album list
    [main] playback/next or random
    [main] playback/play or pause
    [main] playback/previous
    [main] playback/stop

I use:
    Ctrl+F7 [g] [main] components/album list
    Ctrl+alt+F7 [g] [main] Foobar2000/activate or hide
    F5 [g] [main] playback/previous
    F6 [g] [main] playback/next or random
    F7 [g] [main] playback/play or pause
    F8 [g] [main] playback/stop
    Ctrl+F8 [g] [main] playlist/clear

(feel free to add other keyboard shortcuts if you so desire)

>Database
    -check the “Database Enabled” box
    -in the “restrict directories to” box, type in your music filled folders, separating pathnames with a semi-colon. i.e. (no quotes) “D:\Uberized Downloads;E:\Uberized Rips”

-in the “restrict file types to” box, type in “*.mp3”

>Playback
    -set “output data format” to the highest your card will support. If you don’t know, set it to 24bit. If sound doesn’t work when you hit play, change it to 16bit.
    -check the “Dither” box, and set it to whichever sounds best (FIY – Strong ATH sounds best…)

>DSP Manager
    -Remove all components from the left pane
    -Move “resampler (ssrc)” to the left pane
    -Move “advanced limiter” to the left pane
    (as was suggested earlier in this thread, feel free to use the crossfeed DSP if you're using headphones. It may help spacial positioning, but I don't like it...my amp accounts for that!)

>Resampler
    -set target sample rate to 48000Hz
    (NOT to 192000 or anything like that. The reasoning is that all 10k2 based cards (as all creative cards are...audigy, audigy 2, etc, as well as all AC'97 cards, wich include nearly everything onboard, etc) resample EVERYTHING to 48000Hz in the hardware. So it wouldn't matter what samplerate you set it to, it's all being turned to 48000Hz. BUT, a problem arises....the hardware resampler does a crappy job. The solution is to set a GOOD software resampler (like the SSRC algorithm....included in foobar) to resample to 48000Hz, therefore bypassing the hardware resampler.

>Playback
    >Input
    >Standard Inputs
    -set “tag type to write” to ID3V2 and ID3V1 (VERY IMPORTANT)
    >Output
    -Select Kernal Streaming

Step 5: drag and drop some mp3 into the main window. Hit play. Foobar will warn you that kernel streaming is experimental. Hide that window, and hit play again. If it still won’t play, lower your format type to 16bit (preferences > playback)

Step 6: drag and drop your mp3 folders into foobar’s main window. It will take a while if you have large folders.

Step 7: Close foobar and re-open. Go to components > album list (or use the hotkey you assigned), and select “by Zemo” at the bottom.

Step 8: highlight some album or track or whatever, and click “send to playlist” to erase the current playlist and begin playing the new selection immediately. Click “add to playlist” to append the selection to the end of the current playlist.

Now to do something about that fugly foobar look…

-visit http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/fb2k/index.php and find a look that suits your taste.

-Go to preferences > Default user interface, and set the fonts and colors like the formatting page tells you to.

-Go to “title formatting” and overwrite the code on each tab with the ones from the formatting page (it should be fairly obvious)

-if you want to use “foo_looks” (like winamp skins) check out http://www.btinternet.com/~sean.m.kelly/foo_looks/, and follow the guide at http://www.btinternet.com/%7esean.m...ks/install.htm. (skins are at http://www.btinternet.com/~sean.m.k...oks/gallery.htm)

Congratulations, you now have access to the most powerful audio player known to man!

Time to go all the way.....

If you're going to use foobar, you obviously care about sound. What's the next step in making your setup sound better? Ditch those bloated, bug ridden, and dorky creative supplied drivers or stock drivers!!! There is a 3rd party set of drivers for all 10k2 based cards (a list of supported cards is at http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/faq.php?language=en#Q15)

The Kx drivers will make your sound clearer, more punchy, tighter bass, etc...plus they'll give you a LOT more control over your sound. The one drawback I can see is that they don't currently (as far as I know) have EAX support...so for you people who live for the sound of guitars played underwater, I'm sorry. Also, they are a little tricky to learn at first....

You can get 'em here: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?language=en

I feel lazy for just copying someone else's work, but at least I gave credit to him :)

:bowdown:Zemo.:bowdown:

Well after all that, you're pretty much set. I didnt bother with the looks of the player, because obviously I don't stare at my player 24/7. The visual options are totally upto you.

7. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

8. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I use Foobar and Quintessential. For some reason, when I play any DX9.0c game, foobar causes my computer to have massive lag, and it gets hundreds of page faults a second. I love it, though, so I use it whenever I'm not gaming.

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Thanks hyukki!!

10. hyukki

hyukki ._.

No problem, I'm happy to serve the fellow OT members. :hsd:

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I voted for WinAmp. It was around before WMP could play mp3's, it introduced the concept of the skinnable application to Windows machines, and it doesn't need no fucking "Ultimate Guide".

EDIT: This poll doesn't include "Sonique". Grievous error. Punishment will be forthcoming.

12. hyukki

hyukki ._.

:rofl: Yes, it's a bit of a hassle to set everything up with the "Ultimate Guide" but I guess everything is a personal preference.

I saw my friend using Sonique. Never used it though. I didn't know anything about sound quality back then (which was about 3-4 years ago), and I had completely forgotten about it til you mentioned it. My apologies.

I guess the "Other" option would be for Sonique. Maybe I should've said something about mentioning people's favorite programs. :hs:

13. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

I have used Winamp + iZotope Ozone plugin to adjust the sound. Sounds good to me. I am just so used to using Winamp

14. Virality

Virality New Member

Quintessential on my laptop, and foobar is on the desktop that I hardly ever use