WEB Focus a MAJORITY of your design phase on typography.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by symptic, Nov 21, 2007.

1. symptic

symptic I run companies

Typography is easily the most important part of designing. And as I cover on my blog, it can also be used as the main means to producing your layout (such as I have tried to do with Football Bio [1] [2]).

Most designers see typography as what the elite "avant-garde" designers swing about as their weapon of elitism, but if you think about it, the most powerful interfaces are completely based on the typographic elements of the page, allowing the content to create form and function, sometimes even being a more pleasing layout than what fancy graphics can achieve.

What do you guys think?

2. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

I've been trying to tell friends this for years.

I've always been a fan of simple, clean, well-structured pages that use the text itself as a feature rather than useless graphics that fill up space without providing anything.

3. bitchno3

bitchno3 New Member

your not talking typography, your talking simplicity.

type or graphics doesn't matter wither way as long as you make a point to plan it out.

eliminating everything possible, then maybe start adding things back in while watching to makes sure what does and doesn't work.

google only looks as good as it does because there is nothing there, if you look at igoogle you will see that it is just as bad as yahoo.

4. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I've been seriously considering starting a design blog, I have a buddy with a pretty successful one. For being so new, yours seems to be pretty cluttered with links. And I think you should get rid of the blank advertising spaces, don't put that up until you actually get advertisers. But I bookmarked it, I hope its successful, and maybe someday we will link to each other!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  5. i agree. a lot of people at my school never focus on their typography and i seem to be one of 3 students who actually believe that typography can really change the look of a site. all the time i see some decent design with default fonts and font sizes and no one ever messes with letter spacing/tracking/kerning or the line heights or anything like that.

http://www.underattacker.com/blog/blog_design.jpg i'm focusing on the typography on my latest blog/cms project :o

6. symptic

symptic I run companies

I'd suggest making the font size substantially bigger. You have a great amount of whitespace around the content, but the content itself is very condensed. Try increasing the font's size by 2em or so. Right now, you get lost in the text fairly easily. Generally, the smaller the text, the more open space it needs around it (larger line spacing). I think you can find a good middle ground between the size you have now and some gigantic text by increasing the font size and line spacing a little bit.

7. symptic

symptic I run companies

Not necessarily. You can have a very complicated design that still reads well. Focusing on making the text as readable as possible while not sacrificing style can make most designs have that well-composed feel to them.

8. symptic

symptic I run companies

I give free links to anyone who links to me. :wiggle:

9. yeah thats actually one of the first drafts. i'm going to mess around with the sizing and spacing more once i have a few lorem ipsum test entries up so i can see how everything will flow with the cms and everything installed.

i tend to put my text small because i'm always zoomed in at photoshop at the design phase cause i'm on a 22" and my eyesight isn't too good. i need to stop doing that.