MIL FOB Mez

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dmcgill, Feb 19, 2010.

1. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

In Afghanistan, can anyone tell me about it? All I know is it's mainly foreign troops and it's out pretty much by itself. I'm headed there soon.

2. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Province?

3. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

If you've never been there or knew anyone there you probably couldn't give me any useful info, could you?

4. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

And Mez is the abbreviated name. It's actually two words. Mezar Sharif or something like that.

5. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Wow, just being an asshole right out??? It's in RC-N which is controlled by Germans. And just so you are tracking, I had a terp who made it back to the states that was from "Mazar-i-Sharif". And I talk to that man on a regular basis so if you need any info let me know.

6. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

My bad, it just sounded like you had no idea. I wasn't trying to be an asshole...just blunt.

Anyway, yeah I just wanted to know how it is out there...do they get hit a lot? Do most dudes live in b-huts or tents? How is the atmosphere? I heard it's easy to get in trouble since the Germans can get hammered drunk, and we aren't allowed to drink.

7. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Very quiet up there, it's way up north. The city itself is huge and really built up. Germans run things up there, there are a few PRT's which I think is also run by foreign guys. I know there are navy ETT teams up there because one of the ANA regiments is based up there, but other then that I don't know what other US forces are there. I haven't heard of FOB Mazar-i-Sharif, I only know of Camp Marmal which is the main base in the north. The area around there is pretty quiet but the surrounding areas there is some violence. Living conditions are excellent. There are hardstands. And with the drinking, I'm not sure what you are going to be doing up there but we have to follow General Order 1B regardless so I can see guys getting in trouble. If you need any more info hit me up. I can call my old terp and get anything you need.

8. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Thanks for the info, now my LT just told me before I go up to Mez I'm gonna be spending a few weeks down on a base in Herat.

9. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

What's your MOS?