GUN FN FNP-9 vs Beretta PX4 Storm

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Jan 11, 2006.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Not looking for a "versus" scenario per say, but any experience anyone has had with either would be apprecaited. I've started a handful of similar threads like this, but I think I may actually make my first handgun purchase to add it to the shotguns come February. These two pistols are my two favorites based on looks and functionality. I have not had the chance to shoot either. The only gun I've shot that I fell in love with was a Sig P226. I wasn't a fan of the Glock at all. The XD was slightly better than the Glock, but still not a huge favorite. The Beretta 92F I shot a few times wasn't too bad, but still doesn't beat the Sig. The little snub nose S&W I shot forever ago wasn't bad, just not to my tastes I suppose.

Anyhow, I realize it is very unlikely that I'll find either of the two guns I'm looking for at a gun range, so I plan on just purchasing one based on research. If I don't like it it isn't the end of the world...I'll sell it to someone else who does. I like them because of their design as well as because not everyone has them (AFAIK anyhow).

The gun will serve mainly a recreational purpose. It will be kept in my house, so I suppose "protection" is also a use, but more than likely it won't be needed. I will be getting a nice gun safe/case for it. I haven't made my mind up about which yet though. I'd like something smaller and easily accessable. I'm open to suggestions there as well.

2. johan

johan Active Member

If you loved the 226 so much, why wouldn't that be your first choice?
    I sure like mine.

I'd prefer it over any of the other guns you mention.

3. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Storms are hard to get stuff for right now

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

"Stuff" as in what?

I'd like a 226, but all the ones I have found (new, not used) have been a couple hundred more than the two I mentioned.

5. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com

buy one of their CPO's

6. nugzalot

nugzalot OT Supporter

Wow.. those are good prices! Anybody bought a CPO sig before? The prices are definately eye-catching. I might order a 229 and save a couple of hundred bucks. Any downsides to getting a CPO? I know you have the warranty, but I wonder how dinged up the exteriors will be.

7. floppycheif

floppycheif dirty boxing

I appreciate the link, i just applied for my firearms permit, and was looking to buy as soon as i found the right gun for me. Loved of the Sigs felt, but didnt love the price tag at Gander Mtn. Was about to settle on the XD, thank you :bowdown:

8. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

9. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Doesn't matter whether a Sig is new or not. I bought my 226 used (don't know if it was CPO, it didn't have the sticker), the previous owner definately put alot of ammo through it and beat the crap out of it, and it's still never given me a single problem.

10. SlowNegative

SlowNegative Her name is Rio

I have a PX4 storm chambered in 9mm and it's my carry gun. Picked it up for $449 with 3 17 round mags.

11. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

From a local place to you or somewhere online?

I went to one of my local gun stores. Its not the biggest, but the guys who work there are better than anywhere else around here. The main guy is a huge Glock, HK and Sig fan...but hes worked there since he was like -4 so he knows pretty much everything and can give an unbiased opinion.

12. johan

johan Active Member

You should inquire about the exact CPO you want. The seller MAY be able to help you. All the CPO will be top notch, all the wear bits will be replaced.

I've seen some CPO that obviously weren't issued, but had reached the end of their contract and were returned. Zero slide wear, zero grip wear, zero wear anywhere! You might get lucky, but even if you don't get one of these essentially near-NIB, they still all function perfectly.

The only issue is that you might get a newish pistol, or an older one. Sig occasionally makes small changes and if you want one of the newer ones, ask about it.

I'd personally try for one of the newer CPO's with a stainless slide. Sometimes they come with siglites as well. It just depends on the shipment they got. if you have a local shop, get to know them well. Then go and ask to see all their CPO's and pick out the best one (cosmetically. functionally, they will all be top notch)

13. SlowNegative

SlowNegative Her name is Rio

I found a dealer in Texas off www.gunsamerica.com . Spoke with him over the phone, bought it, and had it transferred to a local dealer in 2 days. You can check out www.impactguns.com too. They shouldn't be hard to find now, I bought mine back in September. I've put about 400 rounds through it - fired every time.