GUN FN Five-seveN -vs- HK USP .40/.45

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by adamlewis88, Jul 22, 2008.

1. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Moving into my first house with my soon-to-be wife and Im looking for something for home defense. Its not a bad part of town necessarily but its not the pearly gates either.

Shes not afraid of guns and shes actually very behind us getting one. I dont really care too much about price since this is something that could very well be saving our lives and well being. Im not going to spend a couple thousand, but Im not going to balk at prices north of $750 either.

That being the case, I think Ive narrowed it down to an H&K USP .40SW or a Five-seveN.

Heres how I see it.

Pros of the H&K is really rock steady and proven reliability. It was extensively, and quite harshly tested and is currently is use by a wide number of militaries and government agencies. I also know for sure that a couple shots from a .40SW and your target is almost positively going down. The only real downside of the .40SW is the recoil. Ive personally never fired a .40 but have fired a .45 so I have a general idea of what it would be like.

Pros of the FN is that it is incredibly light, has negligible recoil, and uses a 20 round magazine. Downside is that Im unsure of its stopping power compared to a .40SW, and the ammo is a little harder to come across. Im not too worried about the price as a box of 50 5.7 is only marginally more at CTD than a box of .40SW HP.

So here I turn to you.

If you were looking for a pistol for home defense and were to choose between a H&K USP or a FN Five-seveN, which route would you go?

2. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

[Sam Gerard] Get rid of that razzle dazzle sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock. [/Sam Gerard]

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Why only those two choices?

Go fire a G19, M&P 9, M&P 40, M&P 45, HK45.

4. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Of the two, HK. There's nothing wrong with the FN, but .40 S&W is going to cheaper and easier to find than 5.7x28.

Though personally, I'd get a Glock 17 (22 if you really want .40) or a Sig P226. Hell if it's strictly for HD it's hard to go wrong with a Remington 870, unless you're dead-set on a pistol.

5. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I've shot a FiveseveN and a USP .40 back to back. The FN has MUCH less recoil and is easier to control for sure. The 20rd mags have an advantage as well. 40 S&W recoil can only be described as snappy.

As far as the stopping power argument, the 5.7x28 round was designed as a substitute for the 9mm and for all intents and purposes, its a castrated .223 round. Wiki puts its muzzle energy between 393-461 J, but thats out of a 10" barrel. The .40 S&W has 350-450 J out of a 4" barrel.

Take from that what you will, but if the wife is going to be using it, I'd go with the FiveseveN.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

fixed

7. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Ive heard stories of Glocks firing OOB and/or other instances of explosive malfunction :hs: Ive never heard anything bad about HK/FN and I know the extensive/extreme testing that the USP went through.

Im not too worried about the price difference. CTD has the 5.7 for ~45cents and Winchester Whitebox for ~37cents.

8. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Rem 870 with 00 buck. /thread

9. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Thanks a ton for this informative post.

10. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

No problem! The best thing is for you and the wifey to go out to a range with some rental pistols and try them all for yourself. It's more about what fits YOUR hands best and what YOU are most accurate and comfortable with. Good luck! :wavey:

11. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Neither of the pistols in question are nickle-plated, so I messed with it. :hs:

12. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I had to google Sam Geragrd if Im to be honest :hs:

13. Admitted

US Marshals was a good movie.

14. The problem with considering problems you've heard about is that there are 11ty billion glocks in use compared to an extremely small number of FiveseveNs and a relatively small number of USPs in use. Based on sheer numbers, you'd expect to hear about far more Glock problems.

As to HD use, the FiveseveN is really a novelty pistol, personally I'd never consider one for anything other than showing off at a range. I'm sure the USP would be fine for HD use, but there are a number of better options if you're looking for a HD weapon. As has already been stated, a shotgun is an excellent choice, and something like a compact AR15 would be nice as well, depending on your surroundings.

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Dont rule out a 9mm if you're concerned about recoil for your wife. With modern bullet technology, a good 9mm hollowpoint will be just as deadly as a .40 will be, especially when shot well. With 9mm you'll have a lot less recoil which can get you back on target faster and since its cheaper you can even afford to go practice and shoot it a lot more, making yourself even more proficient with it.

I have both and have come to the conclusion that for self defense in the home, 9mm has become a lot more logical than some of the larger calibers since its easier to shoot, handle and practice with and current ballistics show the modern bullets to be plenty deadly enough.

Consider it. A Glock 17 or Sig P226 would both be great options for you.

16. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Really those two would be some of my last choices for HD. If it's strictly for HD why even bother with a pistol? For HD your best bet is a shotgun. If you hit your target they will go down. Or a carbine like an AR would be great for you and your wife. From what I've seen most women shoot significantly better with a carbine than either a shotgun or pistol.

17. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

You sure you wanna be cute with me?

(another movie quote)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  18. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I knew that after I made the post I should have added IBgetashotgun.

I have a couple shotguns but Im looking for a pistol. A p-i-s-t-o-l. Not a shotgun, not a rifle, not an uzi, not a crossbow, not a taser...

Why not Sig or Glock? Again, its the explosive malfunctions Ive heard of when it comes to Glocks, all the things Ive heard from Glock owners who preferred an HK, and the fact that a 40SW Sig226 is a 10rd mag compared to a 13 from the USP.

19. Admitted

A 870 pistol gripped shotgun you say?

or

ak47 pistol

[​IMG]

20. Admitted

for real though, five-seven out of the two.

21. Basically, you don't want to use the better tools that you have available, you just want to buy an overpriced pistol.

If you really think that Sig or Glock have significant problems, then you need to pull your head out of HK marketing's ass. The fact is there are far more Glocks and Sigs in use around the world than HK can ever dream of. Of course when you've got 10x more pistols (my number for illustration purposes only) out there, you're going to have more failures. The fact is that police forces, militaries, professionals, and ordinary people all choose Glock and Sig in much greater numbers than HK and FiveseveNs, and there's a good reason for that.

EDIT: The 226 is available with a 12 round magazine, not only 10 as you stated. And the Glock 22, which is actually smaller, has a capacity of 15 rounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  22. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Why does everything on OT have to degenerate into Ford -vs- Chevy. Are you insulted because you have a Sig/Glock and I want an HK/FN? What does it really matter? Im buying what Im buying because its my money that I worked for. When Im buying a gun on your dime, maybe Ill listen a little more intently about Sig and Glock.

From the reading that Ive done and the owners that Ive talked to, I personally narrowed my choices down to a USP or a Five-seveN. If you dont want to comment about them, either go to the next thread or keep up with the asshattery. :rolleyes:

23. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

The sheer number of military and law enforcement agencies using various Glocks and Sigs should tell you that serious malfunctions are very minimal.

And magazine size is a terrible reason to pick one over another when you can easily purchase larger ones.

24. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

SBR PS90 :x:

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

5.7 has absolutely terrible terminal ballistics and the USP is regarded as either super awesome cool, or overpriced overhyped poo depending on if you play counterstrike and watch 24 or shoot guns.

Yeah sadly thats not the way it works in real life. The guys that said you should be using a shotgun or rifle in the house are right no matter if you don't want to be told that or not. Your criteria suck. Go shoot some guns and buy what you shoot best and try more than the 2 choices you've picked.