GUN FN Five-seveN 5.7mm pistol

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mint Berry Crunch, May 23, 2005.

1. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

2. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

A couple of local gunshop guys swear by this gun.. They think it's awesome and one particularly said that everytime he gets some in stock they are out again within a few hours. :noes:

3. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

One of the nicest guns I've ever shot light weight, low recoil, 20rnd mag. Ammo is a rip off $50 for a box of 50rnds

4. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

:werd:

every gunshop I go to, that is always the first gun they show me

5. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

$1 per bullet? :eek4:

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

It's a little cheaper if you buy in bulk, I saw 1000 rounds for $950 on gunbroker the other day :mamoru:

7. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

it'll get cheaper as time goes on hopefully

8. raxton

raxton .

a one handed rifle

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

No, it's probably going to get far more expensive first. Since FN just stopped importing the SS190 AND SS192 round (the latter of which was the main round that civilians purchase), it's going to make getting ammo that much harder and more costly.

10. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

CZ52: Better armor penetration, better terminal ballistics, cheaper gun cost, cheaper ammo.

CZ > FN

11. 7

:ugh:

12. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

actually hornady is starting to make more ammo for this pistol so the price should start goign down.

13. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

as more pistols hit the market, and the civilian P90 hits stores, major manufacturers should start adding the 5.7 to their lineups.

14. 7

Some guy on gunbroker has multiple auctions of three 50rnd P90 magazines for like $190 :ugh: According to him they'll become LE only when the PS90 (or whatever the civilian version is going to be called) is released :confused:

15. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

will they somehow have shortened mags for the civvie ones then? if they are, wouldn't the 50 rounders not work anyways?

16. 7

I think the civilian models will only have 30rd mags :dunno:

17. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

p90 is an intimidating gun. i have a feeling alot of people will buy them because of their "futureistic" looks.

18. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i think they are awesome. I love how it chambers rounds.

19. badflash

badflash New Member

Great technology in the p90... have heard good reports bout the gun itself, but 50/50 on the 5.7mm

20. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Don't think you'll find the 7.62x25 to penetrate armor better than the SS190. Infact, I don't think it does a whole helluva lot better than SS192. Don't know about SS196
    Terminal ballistics of the 5.7 have not been tested enough in the real world to be sure. I've never heard of a CZ52 cutting someones heart in two...have read that about the 5.7x28
    The CZ52 is cheaper, but it is also heavier and likes to break its firing pins...it also wears out the rollers and good replacements are getting scarce.
    the ammo is cheaper without a doubt though. 5.7x28 is fuggin expensive. You'd be better off loading a 10mm nice and hot with some 200 grain XTPs.

21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I still think that "cutting in two of the heart" story is complete bullshit, even if it came from a doctor or whatever. A round cannot tear flesh it does not physically come into contact with, and completely splitting something as large as a heart right down the cardiac septum is going to be just about impossible. Unlike people used to think (by "used to" I mean "before Vietnam"), rounds don't rupture organs. Read some terminal ballistics. Even .308 and very large, high speed rounds don't cause a hydraulic shock wave strong enough to do that. There's no way that 5.7 could do that, and it doesn't fragment deep enough to do it, especially to "cut the heart in two." I'm just going off my medical background and terminal ballistics knowledge, though.

Also, there's no point in bringing up SS190, since we can't buy it. SS192 IS still going to be imported, contrary to what I said, and it does show a bit of armor penetration capability, but not what SS190 does. I've still never seen 192 penetrate IIIA armor. AND, it still sucks for terminal ballistics, bigtime. SS190 is the round everyone shows pictures of, making the big black cloud in the gel. The big, black, shallow cloud. The cloud is the temporary wound cavity, which doesn't actually cause any trauma. Now, dial that back a few notches, and you have the even worse performance of the SS192. Hopefully, it at least gets some penetration. SS196 isn't even worth mentioning as far as ballistics go.

One day, they'll figure out a loading that makes this caliber kick-ass. Until then, it sucks balls.

22. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Black market ammo sales anyone?

23. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

You move from doubting a coroners report into ballistic theory. Kind of an illogical jump.
    Thus far, the 5.7 has performed very well in its albeit limited, real world use.

He mentioned that the 7.62x25 penetrates armor better than the rounds from the 5-7. I'm simply stating that this is false with any ammo from the 5-7 other than the SS196 which I have no knowledge of and possbily the sub-sonic rounds.
    Then again, we know that other handgun rounds will penetrate armor as well.
    Hot enough 9mm will.

24. Everytime I read one of your posts I always say to myself, wow these are really well written, then I read what you right and I say to myself, God this guys a fucking moron.

25. oakie

oakie my ninja.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you're not the only one. it's hilarious with all of the "phantom credentials" this guy has. :rofl: