Flywheel requrfacing

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 4W4K3, Jan 14, 2008.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Can chromoly be resurfaced? I've heard it can and it can't.

I got a brand new clutch kit with a used lightweight flywheel and was just wondering if it needed resurfacing. The flywheel was only used for 400 or so miles. I'm assuming it doesn't need it as it looks pretty flat and feels smooth.

[​IMG]

EDIT - Damn it, I meant "resurfacing".

2. I don't know specifically if chromemoly can be resurfaced, but if it's only lightly used and there is no scoring or anything then you can do one of two things. You can try to resurface it and only take a thousandth or two off, or you can use some sort of emory cloth to scuff it and remove the old friction material. As long as the surface is flat and without damage, the only thing you need is a clean surface to allow for the friction material transfer from the new clutch disk.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try to clean it up a bit myself. Going to take it to a car meet tomorrow and get a few opinions from people who can actually hold it and feel if it's "smooth enough" or not. This will be my first clutch job so I'm a little nervous.

4. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

I dont see why it would not be resurfacable. There are 2 styles of flywheels. Ones that can be resurfaced, and ones such as ACT which simply have interchangable disks.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd sand it. CrMoFe is plenty strong, so as long as it's not worn down past spec it'll be fine, but new friction material works best with an uncontaminated surface. Just don't use a motorized sander, you don't want to destroy the uniform thickness of the plate.

Now, if it's not a uniform thickness anymore, if you were getting chatter before you pulled the clutch apart, then you need to get it turned to flatten it out, or else buy a new plate.

EDIT: Damn, I just saw it was used in another car. You should at least get the runout checked professionally, to make sure it's perfect. There's no guarantee that the other car's clutch mount was perfectly flat, and there's definitely no guarantee that the runout on the clutch mounts matches perfectly between his car and your car.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I'll take it to a shop and get it looked at. Hopefully just checking the runout with a dial won't cost too much if anything at all. I took it to a few friends and they all said it looked fine and shouldn't need a resurface as far as a smooth surface goes.

Installing everything tis Saturday, woot!

7. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

Take it to a machine shop and have them resurface it, do NOT sand it yourself, its only $50 and its a guarantee that you'll be running on a nice new clean surface. On a side note however, it LOOKS fine to me however if you're not a fan of dropping your trans then you might as well be on the safe side.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  8. Jakeiscool

Jakeiscool New Member

initially chromoly flywheels dont need to be surfaced upon receiving it from the mfr. yes you can resurface them if you need to later down the road.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I just used some automotive hand cleaner and a rag to clean it off. It removed a lot of brown residue which I guess was either surface rust I couldn't see or old clutch material/dust.