Flywheel Gear Slipping?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by sandstorm, Feb 26, 2009.

1. sandstorm

sandstorm ottc::lakers::chargers OT Supporter

I have an 02 acura rsx type s and the car won't start. How could i check to see if the flywheel gear is slipping without taking off the tranny?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's usually a hole to let clutch dust escape. Look in there.

3. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

if you're talking about the starter, just pull it off... it can't be that hard. and you don't have to remove the tranny to get it off.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Give you a hint: it'll sound like shit when it tries to start if its slipping. If it just clicks and then nothing, the problem is with the starter.

5. sandstorm

I have a 2002 type S with almost 110,000 miles on it. Only thing I have as far as engine mods go is a aem cai which has been in the car since 2002.

Ok so Saturday night I drive back home and park the car in the driveway. Next morning I try to start the car but it just cranks and cranks trying so hard to start but never turns over. First thing I think of is it might be a weak battery. So I pull up my roommate's Ford Explorer and try to jump start it. No luck, car just keeps turning and won't start. I didn't wanna deal with it anymore so I go back inside and prepare for my superbowl party.

Monday morning I call AAA to have my car towed to my local shop where they can get a better look at it. Hoping that it might be a quick fix I wait around while they go take a look. Fuel pump is working, spark plugs are sparking, gas is getting fed into the engine. By the time they are done with their troubleshooting, they have no clue what could be wrong and recommend I leave it overnight while they can check it out some more. In the mean time I rent a car and go to work 2 hours late.

Today I get a call from the shop saying they think it might be an electrical or ecu problem as they have checked out all the mechanical parts and all are working correctly. So now they say they will get it towed to a dealer for further inspection and review. Thing is I dunno how this could happen out of the blue. There is no CEL on or any other problems.

Starter is good as well as the battery. So those aren't the problem. It's been over three weeks now and after cleaning out the fuel and replacing spark plugs, car still doesn't start.

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

So....what sound does it make when you turn the key to try and crank the car?

7. sandstorm

It just sounds like a normal start up but instead of bringing the engine to life it just keeps trying to start...

8. sandstorm

Just keeps on cranking

9. sandstorm

I'm starting to suspect it might be a valve or timing belt issue.