*flynfrogs guide to car audio noobs*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by flynfrog, Dec 15, 2002.

1. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

we were all noobs once too
    ive been doing this since i was 14 years old here are a few things that i have found out over teh years

What type of box should i use?
    well first are you building this box your self or buldin your own.
    if you are gettinga pre fab get a sealed since there is no way a pre fab will ahve proper port area. If its a pre fab band pass run away as fast as you can.

If you want to build your own and dont know what kind of box you need build a sealed a ported box jsut has aobut 4 more things for you to screw up. untill you can build a sealed box with your eyes closed that is teh porper demisions and has no leakes and is properly braced dont attempt another kind of box

what sould i build my box out of?

If you have to ask then no fiber glass for you go to Lowes get a tube of liqud nails some screws some more scewrs a few drill bits a counter sink bit and a sheet or 2 of medum density fiber board (mfd).you can usaly get them to cut it for you. make sure you ahve your demsions correctaccout for board thicknes ect. also make sure your volume is correct for your sub. now take the pieces of wood hometest fit eery thing toghether you rembered to accout for extra braciing when you were determining your demsinson right. After test fitting you are ready to starnt pre drilling, the way i like to do this is first take teh face baord the one that you are not drillign into the edge on and drill a hole in each conner then have a freind help hold up teh board and drill into teh second board wiht a slightly smaller drill bit udaly one to two sizes. then put a scew in eash cornner now do back to your large drill bit and put a peice of tape on it a little over 3/4 of an inch in depth now drill the rest of teh holes on your baord at that depth then switch back to you toeher bit and go into teh second board. then couneer sink all of the holes. now repeat till all of the box is complete now you should ahve a box held toghter with a few screws. make sure you didnt put the ones on the coner to close so it splits teh wood.now is a good idea to mark them so you knwo how the box goes back toghter then take ip apt and use two pices and rua bead of liquid nails along the edge and start screwing glue will squirt out every where dont touch it it doesnt come off wait till its dry and sand it off. continue till your box is complete. now you ahve to cut your hole for your sub ***a 12 in sub does not need a 12 inch cut out*** it will be differnt for every sub center teh hold then use a jig saw and cut away. then depending on the type of termial cup you got do teh same for it. now put in the internal bracing ect. mount sub wire and plug into deck.

If you are asking how many subs can you bridger off of your stock deck you need to be slapped. First off you should have boughta a decent deck befreo you got a sub. (some will argue with me here but its much easier if you do it this way ask unreal) things to look for in a deck expeande abiltiy can you add 2 or three amps to it will it play mp3s does it do every thin you want ot do. If you are like me you buy a deck will every bell and wistle you think you could ever use then after a month you wish you wold have gotten a better deck. When shopping for a deck rember you pretty much get waht you pay for yes you can get a jesen deck for 200 with teh same features as a pionner has for 400 but guess what one will skip the most and break sooner. one last note teh ratins pu on dects for power out put mean jack shit. If you are that worried aobut it buy an amp for you spakers wich i recomend doing any way.

Buying a speaker that is right for you. First you have to look at at what you want out of your speaker what are your requirments do you want it to fit into the stock openings. when looking for a set of speakers dotn listen to see waht one has more bass they were not meant to be subs find one that is verry clear sounding and will fit where you want to put it.. Spen more on your front set of speaker than your back its wherew most of your sound should be comming from alot of peopel dont even use rear speakers i for one dont. And also 6x9s in boxes in the bac window are nota a good idea fist off its called a front satge for a reason its up front . second they scream steal me. third if you get in a wreck guess where those thing are headed thats right at your head.
    Also 6x9s are not better tahn a 6inch round of teh same quauilty in my opinion all speaker should be round.

amp instialtion and chossing the right amp. here is another palce you will get alot of argument waht kind of amp. fisrt i can tell you dont buy a a cheap 1000 watt amp it will fall apart and put out no where near 1k spean money on a good amp not jesen boss pryamid or any other one of teh shitty brands. installing your amp first ****DO NOT RUN THE POWER WIRE THROUGH THE DOOR JAMB** its asking for a fire run the wire throught e the fire wall usinga a grommet make sure that its is fuse as close to the battery as posible. I dont recomend a circut breaker i had one hang open ant result in alot of smoke and burnt up stuff in my car i was lucky the whole thing didnt go up in flames. its always a good idea to se bigger with than recomended simply becauswe you might want to upgrade in teh futuer. also finda good grond close to teh amp. a small screw holdign an inerior pannel o is not a good ground..

Bridging dotn listen to teh morons who brag abbout brigig thee 200 watt amp to 1000 they are full of shit and have no clue what they are doing. first you need to find the minum load you amp will ahndel then figgure out if your subs can be wired to that you should have planeed this when you were picking out your subs and amp. im not going to go into depth there are many recores on teh web.

there is a ton more stuff to coveer but after typing all of taht on a sunday morning hang over i dotn feel like it

could some on sticky this please

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Poor Flynny...still can't spell after all these years....:fawk:

3. STA

STA Guest

We were all noobs once too
    I've been doing this since I was 14 years old here are a few things that I have found out over the years

What type of box should I use?
    Well first are you building this box your self or building your own?
    If you are getting a prefab get a sealed since there is no way a prefab will have proper port area. If it’s a prefab band pass run away as fast as you can.

If you want to build your own and don’t know what kind of box you need build a sealed a ported box just has about 4 more things for you to screw up. Until you can build a sealed box with your eyes closed that is the proper demensions and has no leaks and is properly braced don’t attempt another kind of box

what should I build my box out of?

If you have to ask then no fiber glass for you go to Lowes get a tube of liquid nails some screws, a few drill bits, a counter sink bit, and a sheet or 2 of medium density fiber board (mfd). You can usually get them to cut it for you. Make sure you have your demensions correct accounting for board thickness ect. Also make sure your volume is correct for your sub. Now take the pieces of wood home test fit every thing together. You remembered to account for extra bracing when you were determining your dimensions, right? After test fitting you are ready to start pre drilling, the way I like to do this is first take the face board the one that you are not drilling into the edge on and drill a hole in each corner then have a friend help hold up the board and drill into the second board with a slightly smaller drill bit usually one to two sizes. Then put a screw in each corner now do back to your large drill bit and put a piece of tape on it a little over 3/4 of an inch in depth now drill the rest of the holes on your board at that depth then switch back to you together bit and go into the second board. Then counter sink all of the holes. Now repeat till the entire box is complete now you should have a box held together with a few screws. Make sure you didn’t put the ones on the corner to close so it splits the wood. Now is a good idea to mark them so you know how the box goes back together then take it apart and use two pieces and run bead of liquid nails along the edge and start screwing, glue will squirt out everywhere. Don’t touch it, it doesn’t come off, wait until it’s dry and sand it off. Continue until your box is complete. Now you have to cut the hole for your sub ***a 12 in sub does not need a 12 inch cut out*** it will be different for every sub, center the hole then use a jig saw and cut away. Then depending on the type of terminal cup you got do the same for it. Now put in the internal bracing ect. Mount sub wire and plug into deck.

If you are asking how many subs can you bridge off of your stock deck you need to be slapped. First off you should have bought a decent deck before you got a sub. (Some will argue with me here but its much easier if you do it this way ask unreal) Here are some things to look for in a deck, can you add 2 or three amps to it? Will it play mp3s? Does it do every thing you want it to do? If you are like me you buy a deck will every bell and whistle you think you could ever use then after a month you wish you would have gotten a better deck. When shopping for a deck, remember you pretty much get what you pay for. Yes you can get a Jensen deck for 200 with the same features as a pioneer has for 400, but guess what. One will skip the most and break sooner. One last note the ratings put on decks for power output mean jack shit. If you are that worried about it buy an amp for you speakers, which I recommend doing any way.

Buying a speaker that is right for you. First you have to look at what you want out of your speaker what are your requirements. Do you want it to fit into the stock openings? When looking for a set of speakers don't listen to see what one has more bass, they were not meant to be subs. Find one that is very clear sounding and will fit where you want to put it. Spend more on your front set of speakers than your back, it’s where most of your sound should be coming from. A lot of people don’t even use rear speakers, I for one don’t. And also, 6x9s in boxes in the back window are not a good idea. First off, it’s called a front stage for a reason it’s up front. Second, they scream steal me. Third, if you get in a wreck, guess where those things are headed. That’s right, towards your head.
    Also 6x9s are not better than a 6inch round of the same quality. In my opinion all speakers should be round.

Amp installation and choosing the right amp. Here is another place you will get a lot of argument. First I can tell you don’t buy a cheap 1,000 watt amp it will fall apart and put out no where near 1k. Spend money on a good amp not Jensen, boss, pyramid, or any other one of the shitty brands. Installing your amp first ****DO NOT RUN THE POWER WIRE THROUGH THE DOOR JAMB** its asking for a fire. Run the wire through the firewall using a grommet. Make sure that its fuse is as close to the battery as possible. I don’t recommend a circuit breaker, I had one hang open and result in a lot of smoke and burnt up stuff in my car. I was lucky the whole thing didn’t go up in flames. It’s always a good idea to use one bigger than recommended simply because you might want to upgrade in the future. Also find a good ground close to the amp. A small screw holding an interior panel is not a good ground.

Bridging. Don’t listen to the morons who brag about bridging their 200 watt amp to 1000, they are full of shit and have no clue what they are doing. First, you need to find the minimum load your amp will handle. Then figure out if your subs can be wired to that. You should have planed this when you were picking out your subs and amp. I'm not going to go into depth there are many records on the web.

There is a ton more stuff to cover but after typing all of that on a Sunday morning hangover I don’t feel like it

I copied this and fixed most of the errors. :)

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i love you

:naughty: