GUN fly or ship my gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeri534, Apr 24, 2007.

1. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

so Im having a dilemma here, I fly back to Az tomorrow, and I was planning on flying back with my 1911, but being an young asian male I really dont want to deal with any BS that may come at the counter when I declare my handgun, I could ship it to myself, but Ive lost at least half of my packages when it comes to Fedex/UPS in the Phoenix area....

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

fly that shit. fuck the noise.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

And I'm not so sure you can ship a gun to yourself... unless you don't tell anyone what's inside of it.

I really don't think you'll have much of a problem declaring a handgun even if you are Asain.

4. ZrOuT

ZrOuT New Member

and if you do, sue like those sheiks/imans and you're bound to end up with minimum of $10,000,000 :rofl:

I wouldn't worry about it

5. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

cool, can I use my stock springfield armory blue case? It has a small hole for a lock, will that be good enough?

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Should be... as long as it's locked, obviously.

7. striker754

striker754 Chillin

ya you can :hsugh:

8. Furner

Furner New Member

yeah, you can ship to yourself. not sure if its still on the ATF website but it used to be on there.
    as long as it is REALLY being shipped to yourself, and not being done to circumvent federal laws, its fine.

edit: but fly it anyways. i would rather know my guns SHOULD be right under me the whole time. and not all TSA agents suck, you might run into one who will strike up some gun chatter with you.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  9. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I would suggest getting a better case, a pelican or similar hard case with foam, even if it's cheap one. Get it moderately sized too and check it in as it's own piece of luggage. Search back a couple days for a post I made about them losing my luggage, I think it helped a lot that my gun was checked in separate, and I know that what expedited them finding my lost luggage was one of them being a gun.

That being said, that's how I fly with my gun and I normally never have any problems. You'd be surprised the people at the counter honestly don't give a fuck, and they really do see a lot of people fly with guns. Most of the time they'll make small talk about guns, or if they don't know they'll compliment my pelican case. The passengers in line with you might get scared, but fuck them, who cares? What can they do give you a dirty look? Go tell someone you legally checked a gun onto an airplane?

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If possible use a cable lock to lock the case to your suitcase frame too, it should make it harder to steal

11. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

I wouldn't use the factory case, you spent the money on the gun, spend a few more dollars on a case to protect it.

12. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Ship that shit. I refuse to fly out of O'Hare w/ my 1750 because according to the local PD, checked luggage that looks like it may have expensive equipment of any kind gets jacked by guys making $8/hr. Spend the money and overnight it to yourself in AZ. I may be heading out there in May and I plan to ship my 1750 to myself via next day air ($200 ftl) and back.

13. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Just put it in a padded case inside your suitcase. I fly every few months and never have an issue. Expensive looking bags on the carosell are more likely to get stolen, they see Pelican, figure it has something expensive and electronic inside. I know a trainer with over 50,000 air miles this year, never an issue flying with his gun in a case, inside his normal looking checked baggage.

Although I do cable lock my case to the inside of my bag, so no one can just slip it out quick without anyone looking.