MIL Flunking out of the Defense Language Institute

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CDQ109, Aug 7, 2008.

1. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

If you flunk out of that what do they do with you? Serve the rest of your time as a cook? :noes:

2. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

depends on what branch...a bunch of my friends there ended up in a bunch of different career fields...some im jealous of...some I'm definitely not

3. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i would have given an arm and leg to get into dlab. you should jump off a cliff for flunking out.

4. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

Yah. Fuck him.

5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Roll the dice and see. :o

6. potam

potam que pasa?

So...I've been wondering, how does one sign up to take the DLAB?

7. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

visit your friendly recruiting office for more details...

8. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

I believe you have to enlist before you can take it. You can take it while you're in DEP. Probably take it at the same place you took your ASVAB

9. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

If you are Navy, then you are subject to the whims of your rating detailer. You will be sent to St. Elsewhere as per the "Needs of the Navy." More than likely, it will be somewhere you would never have picked to go.

10. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

my buddy flunked arabic and they just sent him to french after. but that was in psyop and they need as many bodies as possible

11. potam

potam que pasa?

I'm already in. I was just wondering if it is something anyone can take or if there are a limited number of slots?

12. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

Anyone can take the DLAB, but you can only take it twice.

13. ben70

ben70 New Member

Fuck you. If you want into DLI, contact your local recruiter.

OP:

I failed out in March of last year. That week, everyone from USAF who failed out was assigned to Sheppard AFB. Most were made into mechanics/aircraft maintainers of various sorts. Those with 'medical profiles' were sent to the medical wing and made rad techs, clinical techs, etc.

Previously, people tended to be rolled back into an earlier class in their language, or more rarely, re-languaged. In my limited experience, my army friends who failed out stayed in the greater intel field.

You DO retain your clearance, which is worth a bunch on the outside, tho.

14. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

:rofl:

15. ben70

ben70 New Member

Ok, I admit it, I'm new here.
    I don't know quite which wheaties I've just pissed into.

Was there some particular reason you couldn't hack the DLAB, or is the rolling smiley for something else [you're already in, and laughing at my dumb ass for the 'call your recruiter' bit]?

DLI is hard. Over half of the students fail before the
    DLPT [not the DLAB; DLAB is a pre-qualifier, DLPT is the end test to see if you learned the language sufficiently]

That is why linguist/translator slots are critically undermanned.

16. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

We have a troop in our office who failed out of DLI and came to the Comm career field... So, it all depends on who needs what and why.

AF, by the way...

17. I graduated top of my AF class in Chinese in May 1979. The numbers of people dropping out back then was very high like now. 50% sounds about right depending on the people.

The running joke for myself and my classmates was that, if you fail, you'd become an SP. I was so glad my scores were high so I didn't have to really worry about that.

I had never done drugs, drank, smoked, or got high until my days at DLI. One of my friends there had talked about PCP. So later when we were travelling together to Goodfellow AFB for the rest of our training, I got high off his weed, and it was that night I started having trouble coping. I later put two and two together, and I have blamed my problems on a joint laced with PCP ever since. Anyway after three weeks at Goodfellow, I turned myself in for drugs to get some help. I even brought in a small stash of weed I had. I went on casual for almost six months at Goodfellow working in Data Processing. Then, I went to FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne, WY, and was a dispatcher some at 90th Trans. I washed vehicles and was base taxi driver. And they had lowered my clearance to TS.

18. I know it's a little strange, but I've had numerous dreams on and off over the years and until recently, where I have been accepted back at language school for a refresher course and other dreams meeting my old classmates. DLI is an indescrible and incredible experience, alright.