Fluctuating sex drive

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by gibon, May 5, 2009.

1. gibon

gibon New Member

Ok so I've been with my current girlfriend a year now and I'm starting to notice my sex drive doing strange things. Back 9 months ago we would quite often spend all of a day in bed having sex and now I just completely lack any sex drive. If it wasn't for her sexual needs I probably wouldn't have sex at all. Generally I can only go a few days without needing some sort of sexual stimulation but at the present time I honestly feel like I could go weeks without any form of stimuli. I don't believe it's related to not being attracted to her anymore because I still find her more attractive than other women and it seems to be a universal thing, no body is as sexually attractive as they were. Also I'm pretty sure I'm not gay or bisexual either for the record.

Lastly my lifestyle hasn't changed at all recently, sure I'm not doing as much sport as I did 3 months ago but when I was training 7 days a week I was just exhausted all the time. Surely casual jogs and hockey twice a week wouldn't sap my sexual energies. Other than that I'm a 21 year old uni/college student so I don't see why my sex drive has suddenly slowed down so much.

Has anyone else experienced something like this before? a fluctuating sex drive despite no great changes in lifestyle?

2. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

Dramatic and consistent changes in sex drive are not something to take lightly. If you've gone from sex all day every day to not wanting it but once every couple weeks then something has changed. If it isn't a change in diet, medication, exercise, etc. then you should see a doctor.

3. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

From what i've read theres really 'nothing' that could be causing it...

Although from not working out on a regular basis anymore your hormones could be on a roller coaster of some sort.

To be honest, I have no clue as im not a doctor.

Go see one, have him check your test. levels, and go from there, imo.

4. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

This can happen and has happened to me, however it seems you're completely disregarding or perhaps not aware of that fact that the plasticity of your brain controls the chemicals which come out of your body including your hormones... If you begin to think about sex, and think about how you desire it, and look at your girlfriend from a sexual perspective... I can pretty much guarantee that after a little while your hormones will begin to re-ignite. Proper thinking is key, and you must repeat it, it has to become a pattern.

A second note, do not drink Soy or eat soy products they will lower your testosterone... Aslo, work out your legs @ the gym, this will raise it.

5. Abomb

Abomb New Member

you could just be bored with her

6. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

i would look at your diet first

7. MIK3

MIK3 New Member

and then try and get some physical activity in your daily routine

8. gibon

gibon New Member

Sorry I don't think I made this clear: I do exercise for at least half an hour everyday, often more. However 2 months ago I was training for running generally 2 hours a day and that involved both gym and running training n alternating days. I would say I do more exercise than the majority of other people I know.
    Also my diet is fine, again I eat better than most other people I know.

I guess what I'm asking is just if anybody else has experienced something similar before? Has anybody found their sex drive just switched off without some kind of massive trauma?

9. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

Try to build up the excitement a little more maybe?

10. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

If the shift is dramatic and consistent, there is always a biological or psychological reason. If you can't think of anything in your life that could explain this change, you should consult a doctor to make sure something didn't change inside your body chemistry that you just aren't aware of.

11. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

the problem with doctors is that many problems are directly related to nutritional deficiencies, but yet Doctors rarely prescribe proper nutrition (there's no money in it)

For an example from my own life, several months ago I accidentally became iodine deficient. Iodine is essential for proper thyroid function, and proper thyroid function is essential for testosterone production. Unsurprisingly, my sex drive disappeared and I was depressed.

A Doctor wouldn't have prescribed iodine. Most likely I would have been put on anti-depressants and maybe some hormone therapy.

12. snoodles

snoodles New Member

try different things in the bedroom. if you're doing the same routines, maybe your drive is related to the lack of excitement in bed.

13. Tang87

Tang87 New Member

Did you ever mess your back up? I threw my back out and even when it wasn't painful and stuff I wasn't sexually active and the chiropractor showed me a chart, and one of the back bones / disks/ nerves have to do with sex drive......just a thought.

14. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Wtf? Chiropractors are crazy sometimes lol. The nerves that reflexively stimulate an erection leave the spinal column in the sacral spine, and more voluntary control is via the lower thoracic and upper lumbar spine. However, this has nothing to do with sexual "drive", which is a process that occurs in the brain. If he was having erectile issues then the spine could be investigated, but not with a loss of libido. If this change was indeed sudden, and nothing has changed significantly in your relationship or life, I would consider seeing a doctor man.

15. veonake

Find me a study that proves there is a link to eating soy products and loss of libido.

Also, not sure what this means: "the plasticity of your brain controls the chemicals which come out of your body including your hormones"

16. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

soy contains phytoestrogens, which have been scientifically proven to lower testosterone levels in rats

http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/cgi/content/abstract/170/3/591

soy also contains isoflavones, and this is what wiki has to say about them:

"Because of their diversity, isoflavones can have diverse effects on human and animal health.[2] Early evidence that plants produced estrogen-like compounds was manifested in the infertility among sheep that eat large amounts of clover in Australia.[citation needed] Similarly, California Quails fed on the leaves of high-isoflavone desert annuals during periods of food shortage had reduced fertility.[3] Studies using chemically pure isoflavones or plant materials with known concentrations of these compounds have indicated both positive and negative effects of isoflavones on disease progression and fertility. (Reviewed in [2])

Studies on mice indicate that isoflavones may cause thymic and immune system abnormalities and reduction in immune system activity.[4]

There may be link between soy and health problems in certain animals.[5]"

17. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

18. veonake

19. veonake

:hsugh: Have you had a bad experience with doctors or something?

A good doctor will always recommend proper nutrition if they feel there are signs of poor nutrition. No money in it? Is that implying that doctors would rather have malnourished patients so that they keep coming back? I hope I'm wrong in your assumption.

How did you find out you were iodine deficient? A doctor didn't tell you?

20. veonake

There is always a problem trying to strongly correlate scientific data in species that are far different from humans. Especially when it seems like they are feeding the test subjects very high levels.

21. Tang87

Tang87 New Member

wow lol I just looked at a chart lol

22. veonake

What?

23. Tang87

Tang87 New Member

The chiropractor I went to had this chart that said what every spinal column pertains to and one said sex drive I didn't realize it was bs lol

24. veonake

Oh. Chiropractors are notoriously bad at going outside their scope. I recommend finding one that doesn't suggest emotions or anything other than pure reflexes are contained within the spinal cord. Most likely, he was trying to make a leap from the fact that nerves that stimulate an erection leave the spine at specific areas and then saying those areas somehow contain the "drive" itself as well. But, this isn't true, really the only thing the spinal cord can do on its own is create reflexes.

25. Tang87

Tang87 New Member

Oh wow good to know, I fgured out they were nuts when the next one I went to gave me a seizure lol.