Flu Shot?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DTR rex, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I am starting to see signs everywhere for the flu shots now being available. I have NEVER had a flu shot, and never really seen a need to get one since I am a healthy 22 year old male. Every flu season I do get sick about twice but it's never bad... just like a head cold and mild fever lasting a few days.

HOWEVER, for the first time ever last year I got a full-blown case of influenza. I was low on sleep, low on eating, and high on stress because it was finals week with some really hard classes... and I think that sparked it so badly.
    I had a 103 fever, couldn't get out of bed, sore body, headaches, barely able to breathe, etc... it was a fucking nightmare with bad symptoms lasting 4 days and annoying symptoms lasting nearly 2 weeks.

Due to this I am heavily considering getting the shot. My doctor says I don't "need" it, but I figure since I am in high disease places daily (gym, school, chicago public transportation buses and trains, and work) it might be beneficial as a backup.

Seeing as most people here are healthy and in the age range that doesn't necessarily suggest a flu shot; do you guys still get them?

2. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

the flu strain last year was bad because the shots they gave out were for the wrong strain

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah I heard about that.

My g/f who is a Biology Graduate says that the flu shot does not really do anything and if you're going to get sick you're going to get sick regardless of the shot... Not sure how I feel about that though.

I eat well, exercise, take a daily multi, etc... but I really don't want to end up like last year where I spent a week in bed not being able to do anything. That would fucking kill me with work/school.

4. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

I haven't had the flu in the longest time and have never had a flu shot. I'd say just because you got the flu once last year and haven't been really sick for 22 years, that shouldn't really justify it...at least to me anyway.

With that being said, I am 31 so a bit older. On a side note my grandpa was super healthy and almost 90. He decided to get a flu shot for the first time and died shortly after getting it. :dunno:

5. 60druidgurubash

60druidgurubash OT Supporter

i never get flu shots and i rarely ever get sick. maybe once a year ill get a sore throat thatll last a couple days. other than that im fine.

6. J

J Active Member

I don't even recall the last time I've had the shot when I was a kid. Other than that, I don't expect myself to get it ever again. I've seen a ton of people get really sick after getting it, yet rarely do I ever see anyone get sick from not getting the shot.

7. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Got it twice and it was well worth it. Both times it was free at my work but now I need to book an appointment etc. pita.

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I do get sick... somewhat frequently actually. My childhood problems with asthma and my current allergy issues cause me to get cold a 3 or 4 times a year (basic sore throat, stuffy nose, maybe a very slight fever, etc...).

But again, last year was the first time I had a flu like that where it was all head cold symptoms + not being able to move a muscle + sweats/chills + 103 fever.

So just skip the shot because it's not worth it and try to do what I can to keep healthy during flu season?

9. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

you guys are saying you rarely get sick as justification for not getting a flu shot which is not the case. the flu is far more serious than your common cold. it should be a free vaccination and there is no reason really to not get it.

10. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

some people just naturally have better immune systems than others. these people can be exposed to the live virus and their bodies will kill it without adverse effects. in an ideal society we would be able to tell who is susceptible to influenza and target them for vaccinations. however it is just easier to offer it to everyone. you stated that you already had the flu before so in your case it would be worth getting the shot.

11. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

My immunity isn't spectacular. Granted, i've only had a real case of influenza once or twice in my life (one time being last year) but I do get sick with a lung infection/sinus infection/common cold at least 4 or more times a year due to asthma and allergy issues i've had all my life... and I think that being sick with those things during flu season makes me a more plausible candidate to catch the flu.

So basically what it comes down to is that the benefits of the flu shot far outweigh the possible negatives?
    Again, I am not only a student in a school of over 20,000 people, but also live in a very dense area (downtown Chicago), and take public transportation daily and work in a environment that has many people coming/going everyday. So naturally, I am going to be more exposed than the average joe.
    Money and time isn't really an issue. My school gives them out all day long, no appointment needed, and my parents are going to pay for it.

So just get it then?

12. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

definitely. there is no risk of getting this vaccine (or vaccines in general, despite what some loons might tell you that its a government conspiracy). your position of being outside a lot, especially when you're in close proximity with a lot of people such as public transportation in an urban area, increases your risk.

actually i just took a look at the CDC site for flu vaccinations, its a pretty good overview:
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/flu_vaccine.html
    People who should not get a flu shot include:
    anyone who's severely allergic to eggs and egg products (ingredients for flu shots are grown inside eggs, so tell your doctor if your child is allergic to eggs or egg products before he or she gets a flu shot)
    infants under 6 months old
    anyone who's ever had a severe reaction to a flu vaccination (although most people do not experience any side effects from the flu shot)
    anyone with Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), a rare condition that affects the immune system and nerves
    anyone with a fever

summary: get the shot

13. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

I know three people at my work that had never had the flu until after they got a flu shot, plus my grandpa died from one.

I think if you are going to get the flu you are going to get it, shot or not shot. I don't think you should bother with it, especially with your flu past. But that's me and I'm biased towards not getting them.

I've never had a flu shot and I've never had the flu. So I personally think it's more how is your immune sys, not if you need a shot or not.

14. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

your logical and reasoning abilities are sub-par

15. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

I get it free every year at work, and about 50% of the time I've still gotten the flu :dunno: It doesn't hurt, so why not? But, it's not like it helps THAT much IME. But, I'm also exposed to shit constantly at work [healthcare], so no matter how much I compulsively wash my hands/do whatever I still get sick often.

16. Mint

Mint Active Member

vitamin C ftw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.