Flower sap + black car = LOSE. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by AllDay AllNight, Jul 3, 2006.

1. AllDay AllNight

AllDay AllNight All right, I gotta know. What the hell does "kree" OT Supporter

Hopefully you fellas can help me out with my car washing problem...

About two weeks ago, my freshly washed car sat in front of my gf's house. This tree with wicked purple blooms kept falling onto it, and the flower's sap got onto different parts of the car.

Between helping her move, moving myself back up to my own apartment, and summer school / work starting back up, I've had NO time to deal with it.

Now, two weeks later, I've got to clean my car. I live in an apartment complex, with no cleaning materials, a dirty black car with flower sap, and my only option available being a car wash place down the street (who I've never used, and not sure I trust).

Can anyone suggest anything? Will getting the car washed get the sap off? Or am I just fucked completely? Any suggestions would be good.

CLIFFS: Black car gets shat on by tree/flower sap, haven't touched it in 2 weeks, need to clean. Help!

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What's the sap look like? Small dots ON the paint (as in a dot that can be picked off the surface)? Big Blobs? Stains on the paint?

Some Sap can be taken off with Water or Rubbing Alcohol.

If those above solvents don't take them off, then you'll have to get a Tree Sap remover to do it. I'm not familiar with any off the shelf Tree Sap removers from Pepboys or Autozone. I've always used PRO's Tree Sap Remover (prowax.com) and have had great luck with it. You can also use Turpentine, which is fairly easy to find in the solvent area of Home Depot or Lowe's or a paint supply store.

Make sure you also get the spots some dwell time when you work them. A hard, dried spot isn't just going to dissolve in 5 seconds.

If the spots are fine, then some people have success with using a Clay Bar to remove them. I guess it's kind of like what they were originally designed to do :o

Remember to wash and rewax the area when you're finished using whatever products you do.

3. AllDay AllNight

Well, the flowers got ALL over the car. So there are spots on the hood, roof, trunk lid, etc. There are also some spots where you can see the sap "running" down, like on the side of the doors.

The sap is clear, no color as far as I can tell, but it looked fairly substantial so I wasn't sure what to attack them with. I'm not really super intensive with my washing (I just use car wash soap and microfiber towels 90% of the time), and I'm really not a pro at this.

If I approach it with rubbing alcohol, should I dilute it at all? And can I assume that when (if?) I get the spots out myself, it's safe to get it washed at the local car wash place?

I wish I could wash it myself, but in my situation, it's not an option.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Optimum No Rinse Wash should remove most sap stains. Pine sap is the one that is really tough, but sap from live oaks, crepe myrtles, etc will wash off with Optimum or a conventional car wash soap. See the EDU sticky for more information.

5. AllDay AllNight

Thanks for the help guys.

I may just use water/alcohol tomorrow to get the sap out, then take it over to the car wash place for now. (unless there are better suggestions).

But it looks like I'm gonna be buying ONR wash and wax for future use.

Thanks!

6. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

A good product to try if the alcohol doesn't work is Stoner's Tarminator. Its great bug and tar remover and its usually cheap as shit, plus you can usually get it at wal mart or target (saw it for 3 bucks a can at target the other day!)