MMA florida might not approve ken vs kimbo

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Sep 1, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Will Florida approve Ken vs Kimbo?

August 27, 2008 – 3:17 pm by fightlinker

[​IMG]

EliteXC might have decided that they don’t give a shit about Ken Shamrock’s safety by booking him against Kimbo Slice. But fortunately there’s another layer in place to make sure this fight is merely morally corrupt as opposed to health-endangering. MMA Fanhouse spoke with the Florida Athletic Commission about the possibility of the plug being pulled on this bout:
    But before the fight can go down at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida, it must be approved by the Florida State Boxing Commission. And Alexis Antonacci, press secretary for the Department of Business and Professional Regulations, which oversees the Boxing Commission, told me today that such approval is not a foregone conclusion.​
    “In terms of his record and the number of times he’s been knocked out, we would look at that prior to the physical examination,” Antonacci said. “When the matchmaker puts people together for the fight, they have to be approved by us.”​
    Shamrock vs. Kimbo has so far passed through Florida’s initial approval process, but Antonacci stressed that “we haven’t done a full check on each of the fighters.”​
    That last sentence isn’t exactly heartening. The fact that initial approval has already been given means they didn’t look at the records of these guys and go “What the ****???” like everyone else in the universe did. So now things come down to whether Kenny boy can pass his physicals. I’d say that wouldn’t be difficult but I’m still a little suspicious on account of ProElite shipping Shamrock off to the UK for his first fight with them. That move never made much sense past avoiding commissions and testing, so it will be interesting to see what comes up, if anything.

2. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

so now ken = rocky balboa :wtf:

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Ken: Yo, don't I got some rights?
    FAC: What rights do you think you're referring to?
    Ken: Rights, like in that official piece of paper?
    FAC
    : That's the Bill of Rights.
    Ken
    : Yeah yeah, the Bill of Rights. Don't it say something about going after what makes you happy?
    FAC
    : No, that's the pursuit of happiness. But what's your point?
    Ken: My point is, I'm pursuing something and nobody looks too happy about it.
    FAC: But, we're just looking out for your interests.
    Ken
    : I appreciate that, but maybe you're looking out for your interests just a little bit more. I mean you shouldn't be asking people to come down here and pay the freight on something they paid, it still ain't good enough, I mean you think that's right? I mean maybe you're doing your job but why you gotta stop me from doing mine? Cause if you're willing to go through all the battling you got to go through to get where you want to get, who's got the right to stop you? I mean maybe some of you guys got something you never finished, something you really want to do, something you never said to someone, something... and you're told no, even after you paid your dues? Who's got the right to tell you that, who? Nobody! It's your right to listen to your gut, it ain't nobody's right to say no after you earned the right to be where you want to be and do what you want to do!... You know, the older I get the more things I gotta leave behind, that's life. The only thing I'm asking you guys to leave on the table... is what's right.

:bowdown:

4. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I think they'll approve it.

Ken has a ton of experience and is fighting a really inexperienced fighter.

This looks like another case of the athletic commision trying to look more important than they really are.

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

thats floridas boxing commision, that or they are looking for some kind of bribe.