SRS Florence Nightingale syndrome

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JordanClarkson, May 1, 2005.

1. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

This refers to people who feel attracted to someone either because they are taking care of them (FN was a nurse during the Crimean war) or vise versa. The feelings are very intense and not short-term. This is also how women become very attracted to prisoners. You get a strong sense of wanting to help the other person, like it is your mission in life, giving you a sense of worth. Or you feel like there's only one person that seems to care about you.

I was looking back at my past relationships when I realized that FNS may have played a part in all 4 of them. In some ways I feel cheated because I may have thrown myself into situations I normally wouldn't have, but it's also kind of amazing to know that people are made to want to help others out and also appreciate the help they are receiving.

These days I try to watch out for this. I've noticed on several occasions I'll feel attracted or drawn to someone who is in need. Has anyone else noticed this with themselves?

2. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

Aluyminyum, I work with a guy just like this. He makes a good income, but these dysfunctional relationships that he gets into are nearly bankrupting him. He has suffered a lot of pain through these relationships. You are aware of what you are up against, he isn't. So you know better then to be jumping into these black-hole relationships. Careful there.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Love is supreme, without love our lives our meaningless. We are here on earth to love eachother and help eachother out. Therefore its not so strange that we get strong feelings when we help others out, because it touches the essence of the good that we where build to do within us.

4. JordanClarkson

Yeah, it's nice to be on both the giving and receiving in. I believe everyone has much good in them.

5. JordanClarkson

I think when you're used to feeling worth through pain, you keep going out and seeking the same thing. It's hard to break out of that way of thinking, but can only be done if you realize that there is a problem and wish to change it. But sometimes you can feel good just by doing something nice for someone and not expecting anything in return. I believe in going through life without guilt.