Floppy Drive Failure

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MattC, Feb 10, 2003.

1. MattC

MattC gotta love the prewar

I hope someone can give me some insight...

I'm throwing together a computer for my parents to use, but I keep having problems with the floppy drive. On the BIOS screen where is tells you the speed, ram, hd, etc. at the very bottom it says "floppy disk failure". I tried a bunch of things already but none of these seem to work:

-tried different floppy drive and cables, same problem.
    -tested "bad" floppy drive and cables on my computer and they worked perfectly.
    -checked bios settings on floppy and it is set to the correct type.

Anyone know of anything else to check? I'm starting to think it's the motherboard, but I wanted to see if anyone else could think of something to try. I've got it up and running, except for the floppy, and I"d go without it, but my parents really need it for what they do.

2. gambit32

gambit32 Guest

You've done everything I would've: You tried other floppies and cables, and the ones it thinks are "bad" into other machines and they work. After making sure the BIOS is right, theres really not much else I could think to do. I would think its most likely a motherboard problem. Check the connector and make sure its not missing and pins, and the ones that are there arent bent.

g'luck.

3. Furner

Furner New Member

your cable may be plugged in upside down

4. MP

MP New Member

possible power supply problem also.

it's happend to me before.

5. knightm3

knightm3 Guest