WEB Flex is so fucking awesome....but

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Jan 5, 2009.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

being rendered in flash makes it pretty much worthless for any applications I'd ever develop. Which really blows....I've been playing around with it just for fun and it's pretty damn impressive....solid Architecture, nice IDE, easy data binding and ajax. Building apps is so fast and easy, they're so sexy too :coold:. With all that, there's got to be one fatal flaw of course, the fact that google can't crawl or index it :wtc:.

If Adobe or Google could figure out a way for googlebot to crawl and index flash efficiently, this could take over as the standard for front end UI. Seems like Adobe's really been pushing flash lately and they've solved most of the old problems caused by flash apps. Until they can be indexed though it's basically a novelty :o.

http://examples.adobe.com/flex2/inproduct/sdk/flexstore/flexstore.html
    ^^ How sexy is that :coold:? But at the same time how worthless is an E-Commerce app that can't be crawled or indexed by google?

Javascript libraries are quickly starting to rival the same capabilities as flash lately as well, and they can be easily degradable. Starting to see them implemented in lots of main stream apps now.

2. nubian

nubian Active Member

i have yet to touch flex, being a flash guy and all.

3. ROFL

ROFL New Member

4. Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon HURF DURF OT Supporter

My problem with flash is not being able to do things I can do on any other website. like right clicking and copying image or link sources etc.

5. Ender0910

Ender0910 woot!

As well as accessibility things like alt text on images, screen reader compatibility, high contrast, etc. take a LOT of effort to add back in. And even then, some screenreaders don't know how to deal with flash (just like the googlebot fails).

Like that demo, the cursor never changes to the "pointer hand" when hovering over links and it's a bit awkward. Page state is a bit chaotic as well as the address bar doesn't mean as much anymore. All this for some smooth transitions between actions. Good transitions are awesome and probably will be strong in the future, but right now they come at too great a cost.

Not hating on Flash/Flex here, in fact one of the sites I'm most proud of uses Flash. But these are just some issues I have to wrestle with.

6. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

A lot of those are things that I could give a shit about as a developer, like the ability for you to steal my images for example :squint:. They've found ways to solve some of the issues like the back button working, deep linking etc as well (click the accordion tabs then back button http://coenraets.org/apps/livehelp/customer.html#app=93a0&3513-selectedIndex=0 )

Overall I agree with you though and definitely agree 100% that it's not worth compromising usability for flashy interface

The rate web technology is advancing, I think we're going to see some huge steps forward the next couple years :coolugh:

7. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

reason being :dunno: .

Personally I'm completely lost in Flash, but I picked up on Flex almost immediately with it's XML based markup. It's data handling and binding is nice and easy too, very useful as well. I guess flex is really just a UI skin and front end over a PHP application, at least that's the way all my little flex apps I've been playing with have been

8. Ender0910

Ender0910 woot!

I should look into Flex. I've used Flash on and off for years but I just assumed Flex was some sort of xml/code only version of Flash. From the sounds of it my assumptions are incorrect

9. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

Check out silverlight. Microsoft (blah blah blah, I develop in PHP, Rails, and C#/ASP.NET as situation demands, so stfu) has solved quite a few of the issues that flex has. Of course, adoption of silverlight is still an issue, but its pretty nice to work with from a developer's perspective.

10. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

You can DL the 30 day trial from Adobe and theres plenty of good sample apps available.

11. nubian

nubian Active Member

i've been using flash since flash 4. :hs:
    i'm always knee deep with work and really haven't had the time to venture into trying something new.
    however i did download a shit load of flex video tutes i have yet to look at. :noes:

12. ge0

ge0 New Member

if you provide a student id you can get the flex enterprise thing for free

13. Ender0910

Ender0910 woot!

I've done a bit of stuff with Silverlight and I must say that as far as core features and media goes, it's awesome. Silverlight 2.0 using C# is :bowdown::bowdown: but even Silverlight 1.0 with JS is great, making it easy to mix silverlight and the rest of the javascript on your page. The media playback just seems so powerful and smooth. (note: I may have a possible conflict of interest here :hsugh: )

Adoption is, of course, the number 1 issue. Any big site that wants to deploy Silverlight needs to have a clean fallback scenario and that just means twice the development.

Another issue that I came across when investigating Silverlight for a project a year ago was that its Font support wasn't quite as robust as Flash's. This meant if you wanted to write a few Japanese words on the page, you would force the user to download the entire font file, which could be 10s of megabytes. Of course, that was before Silverlight 2.0 was out of Alpha so things may have changed since then.

14. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

:rolleyes: check back in when you develop a site for the masses

15. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

What are you referring to? The problems with flex or the part about images?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  16. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

Flex and flash have their place on the web.

I've been using flex at work and really like it, but would never rely on it soley for a full fledged website