Flex does not suck

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Just started working with Flex, and am shocked to find that Flex does not suck. Its flash, but it does not suck. Who would have thought that possible?

2. ge0

ge0 New Member

yeh I just got a license for flex. What are you using it for?

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Cooler forms.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

But will users be able to use them without downloading software to run them with?

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, its juts flash! Almost everyone (like 99%?) has Flash. Its a defacto standard. Also, almost everyone gets the newer version of Flash each release, within six months.

Thats why its cool. Flex is a sane wrapper to Flash. Flash has great availability in browsers but is hell to work with for developers - fucking timeline animation interface in the IDE.

I've had to hack Flash for custom charts and stuff, and its bloody murder. Flex is so much saner. Its just like building a UI in Java or C#, albeit you have the option to use mxml too (if you want, I hop between the design and code interface).

6. ge0

ge0 New Member

Need AIR tho for desktop apps

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can use AIR if you want, but its just Flash. You can open it locally in your browser if you want. Thats how I develop.

8. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Wonder if Silverlight will ever see any percentage of the market. MS has made it pretty awesome with v.2 and integration with their existing RAD tools. Would be awesome to develop for, but the sad reality is that people don't want to install more shit.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I will never, ever use Silverlight. Fuck them.

10. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...erlight-2-and-a-glimpse-of-silverlight-3.aspx

Good start. The fact that it's an MS product, plus the share that IE and Windows has, means that they should be able to push it onto the market, especially making deals with major websites.

They have a good edge with integration to the .NET platform and associated tools, and currently superior streaming video technology.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Fuck silverlight. Fuck MS and their closed toolset.

12. SLED

I wonder if that 1 in 4 figure is correct. That sounds WAY HIGH. I guess MS could start distributing it via windows update and see that number increase almost instantly.

Problem with me is that the majority of my user base is your mid to big corporation employee and netadmin's historically don't install these updates just for the fuck of it. It will still be awhile methinks.

13. whup

The only thing truly closed is your mind. You're only fucking yourself, not MS. Be a consumer, not a fanboy.

14. whup

I agree I'd take that 1 in 4 with a grain of salt.

I was thinking they could package it with updates and the sorts but it's probably not legal.

All they really need are killer apps / killer sites that use it, and people will install it. It's a pretty tiny install.

Looks like Adobe are tidying things up and officially calling their suite of tools Flash Platform now: http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You're an idiot, and I'm not a consumer, I'm a maker. And MS doesn't make their toolset for my OS.

16. SLED

they did it with .NET and other "frameworks", so they just might try it with SL.

although, you can bet your ass that Adobe is going to shit bricks if they do though

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Silverlight is an attack on the open web. OS doesn't matter anymore and they're trying to change that. Fuck MS. Fuck Silverlight.

18. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Fuckers they want you to run their product on their servers?!?
    The audacity.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

MS has a minority stake in web servers, and the web is good and well because of platform independence. Silverlight seeks to erode that goodness and so it is shit.

20. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

wanting you to run on their platform and forcing you to run on their platform are two different things.

21. whup

Firstly, as a software developer, you are a consumer of software development products. TARD.

Silverlight is browser and platform independent, and the *nix version is open source.

And like the Adobe suite of software and server components are free or even cheap?

You don't get to offer an opinion on Silverlight, because your view is as unbalanced and irrational as your technical knowledge and experience is limited.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Not so much. Everything I develop with is free and open source. Like most of the web.

There is no official unix version. There is an inferior hack. Which is the problem. There are also no official development tools for non-MS OSes. Which is the point. MS seeks to make all other OSes second class citizens by dominating rich content on the web. Its their classic move. And it sucks.

Flash is open and has Adobe players and tools that work on all common platforms.

Opinion offered. You don't get to decide who offers opinions because you are a tard.

23. Frequency

Frequency New Member

They want you to run on MS server, they want you to use silverlight.
    No one is forcing you to use silverlight over flash.

24. whup

And you still don't know what the definition of consumer is. You seem to think it involves you having to pay for something.

Moonlight is a cooperation between Microsoft Novell and will follow the Silverlight specification as closely as possible.

Moonlight has LunarEclipse as an IDE, and design abilities will also end up in MonoDevelop seeing as it's the same team.

You'd have to bet SharpDevelop will do the same.

There is also a Silverlight for Eclipse project.

Microsoft's XAML is a proper standard and there will likely be lots of tools to support it as Silverlight gains share.

I can download the source for Adobe Flash? They work on common platforms such as what? Windows, Mac OS X and Linux like Silverlight & Moonlight will?

You don't have to use Silverlight, but being ignorant and irrational about it and other Microsoft products will keep your skillset well behind mine.

25. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

You must be high.

How open do you think Flash is?

I'll give you an idea for your cooler forms:

HTML