MIL Flat feet & orthotics in the military

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jimmy Jockstrap, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Anyone got advice or comments important issues to discuss if someone wants to get into the military in some form?

2. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

orthotics

3. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

it's a 100% committment. going in, make SURE (through sources) that it is something you can handle and want to do.

everything about your lifestyle will change, and change fast. it's not something you can just start, and if you don't like it...quit. there are repercussions to everthing you do, and it's the government, so penalties are the harshest. but honestly, if you have an open mind...easily adapt to change and have a positive attitude...it's a ton of fun and the perks are out the ass.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Are you saying that you have flat feet? If so, everything is waiverable.

5. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i have flat feet.

6. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I have flat feet.

Not a disqualifier.

7. teep

teep New Member

I heard asthma is a huge disqualifier. I was prescribed an inhaler when I was 16 (I'm 20 now) for bronchitis/asthma. I had some lingering problems after that and every once in a while I used my inhaler. It was nothing major, but I've read this is really hard to get waived. I would just use it once in the morning and if I forgot the worst that would happen is that I would be a little uncomfortable. Is there nothing to worry about if a thorough medical exam can prove there is nothing wrong with me now?

8. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

i have flat feet

i have orthotics

i went to MEPS, i was not disqualified, i was given no waiver (dont tell them you have them anyway, it makes NO difference)

i showed up to basic with my orthotics

i wore my orthotics in each pair of my boots and my running shoes

i graduated basic

no one asked, no one cared.

:)

hopefully this answers any questions you have.

(USAF, but i see no reason why any other branch would be any different)

9. Ranger-AO

A possible reason could be that Army and Marines send more recruits home on medical seperations from basic than the AF does.

10. J

J Active Member

my recruiter was just talking about this. don't tell them you have asthma. then once you're in, tell them you think you might have asthma :mamoru:

11. Ranger-AO

With a documented history of asthma, your advice could get him in a shitload of trouble.

12. SW20 Nick

ok....orthotics correct problems, they dont cause them :dunno:

13. Ranger-AO

I'm not saying they do. I'm saying that Army/Marine basic is 11ty times harder on your feet than AF basic. ANY problem you have with your feet or legs will be amplified way beyond what you have ever experienced, unless you are in to endurance athletics.

That is why other branches will probably look harder at problem feet than the Air Force would. Everything is waiverable, but that doesn't mean they won't want to take a close look at the problem before they waive it.

14. SW20 Nick

:dunno: i survived without any problems....not saying AF prt was amazingly hard...its enough to crack the weak ones.

15. teep

teep New Member

Would it be best to just say exactly what I wrote before and tell the truth? I probably won't even meet with a recruiter for another year, but it would be nice to know now. It's one of the things that has me kind of worried. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I consistently score a 300 on the Army PFT. Hopefully that will be a good indicator that I'm healthy. :dunno:

16. Ranger-AO

Your best bet is to get several "progress reports" from a doctor stating that on this date/time you were involved in a strenuous exercise program and that you had no problems with asthma. The doctor should also do whatever tests he can to clinically verify that your asthma is not a problem. Do this 2-3 times over the course of the year, with the last time just before you go to see the recruiter.

The doctor's letters, and his test results, will be worth their weight in gold when you go to MEPS.

Oh - and PM me before you talk to a recruiter. I'll share the referral bonus with you. :cool:

17. Ranger-AO

I've been through AF basic, and I've been through 5 weeks of Army basic. I was incredibly disappointed with AF basic. I went into Army basic healthy and fit. I left with stress fractures.

18. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

:werd:

also when they find out they will seperate you so you waste the govts money and your time

19. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

wtf is up with docs prescribing stuff so much. people who get out of breath when running (who doesnt??) get "exercise induced asthma" and get pegged for the rest of their lives on their medical records as having asthma (where real asthma is a truly debilitating condition)... i got down when my mom had cancer and they gave me an antidepressant so now my records look like im some sort of insane depressed/suicidal person
    fuck doctors :o

20. what are stress fractures? got a pic? are you still in the defence forces?

21. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Me too...didn't hurt any worse or less when I broke both of them on that bad jump years ago.

22. s3rca

s3rca New Member

i have flat feet and thh only time i had an issue was at MEPS . the doctor looking at me was relativly new to the process and had to ask the opinion of another doctor before passing me . i learned that apparently its dependant upon how turned in your ankles are . you should still be able to pull a waiver on it . ive never been in any pain as a result of my flat feet .