GUN Flashlight Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bugman, Apr 18, 2007.

1. bugman

bugman Demonic Gecko OT Supporter

So I know this doesnt pertain to guns, but I know a lot of you guys have some crazy flashlights.

Im going to be going to Costa Rica this summer for 2 weeks, and will need a flashlight thats powerful for when I go looking for animals at night.

Are there any sites or brands you guys reccomend more than others? I was looking at spotlights...is it possible to get a decent powerful one for $30 or so?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:eek5: I'm using one of those big Maglites right now. Nothing fancy but I didn't want to buy a new one for my trip here.

3. bugman

your in CR now? :eek3::eek3:

How long are you there for?

edit: and any pictures??

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm here for 7 more weeks. I've been here for 2. I'll throw some photos on my laptop and upload them when I have high speed internet tomorrow afternoon. The photos are on my external hard drive at home.

Where are you going to be staying and what are you coming here for?

I was going to go possum hunting on a friend's farm the other night but it rained so we had to postpone it. I'll make sure to post some pics of that when we do, hopefully this weekend.

5. bugman

Dont know where Ill be staying yet, but Ill be there for 2 weeks, probably in the southern part of CR.

Ill be there looking for reptiles/amphibians day and night.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:cool: there's a ton of them. I'm in San Jose going to school for the next 6 weeks but the last two I'm going to cruise around and hopefully make it to both coasts. So far I've only gone out into the jungle during the day and havn't seen a whole lot besides snakes and birds but I have been close to the city and I know there's a lot more wildlife further away from San Jose.

7. bugman

The guys Im going with have been there twice, and have only seen 4 snakes combined on both trips. Ill be happy as hell to see some snakes and a caiman or alligator would be even better:cool:

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I have a ton of pics from my trip two years ago. Saw lots of Caiman and lots of snakes. My friend I'm staying with works at a few different tour guide agencies. I can ask him tonight where are the best places to go to see snakes and that sort of stuff. I'll try and PM you tonight or somethin'.

9. bugman

Thanks, that would be awesome! When I know for sure where Im going to be, Ill let you know and maybe your friend will know a few good guides for that area.

Thanks again.

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I guess it depends if you need a light to look out for them or to study them. How big are you wanting? There are WORLDS better lights than stock Maglites tho.

Heck, Keesh, I would prob have loaned you something better....

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You are the flashlight guy around here, I should have asked before I went. No big deal, I haven't really needed a light besides a pocket LED yet, my friend's brother has a decent one and I usually go on hikes with him. You should recommend me one a good sized one and a small pocket one so I can order somethin' and my friend can bring it down here in a few weeks when he comes. Don't want to pay a lot, preferably under $100 combined for both :hs:

12. bugman

Im going to buy one of those head lights, and a flashlight or spotlight. The thing is though, while Im sure there are better flashlights out there, after these 2 weeks are up, realistically Ill probably never use the flashlight again, or have the need to use it.

So are there any good flashlights/spotlights in the $30 range? I dont need something crazy, just something decent.

13. 2L Bunny

Headlamps are a GREAT idea. And when you're home throw them in the truck for changing spare tires or whatever. On a budget the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon is an excellent light!
    http://www.fox-intl.com/searchresult.asp?id=3034

Good runtime, with a lot of throw. And they're very durable.

For something smaller the Fenix and Jetbeam line of lights are good.
    http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_50&osCsid=593fb024ef0999d4fb0a810f61a27ab5

Here's the PP lux for a better deal from a great dealer
    http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1876

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

What a coincidence. The power has been out here for an hour (thank god for a laptop and dial-up) and no sign of it turning back on. Wish I had a decent light now :rofl:

Thanks for the suggestions 2L Bunny :cool: I will definitely pick a new light up soon.

15. 2L Bunny

You always find some way to bash Fenix....this is great. :ugh2:

16. Keesh

Keesh New Member

How does he always appear in these flashlight threads to bash on flashlight suggestions :rofl: I don't understand.

17. 2L Bunny

He does the same over on CPF. He's even local (or at least use to be) and we've invited him to some meets....

18. murph38_99

murph38_99 OG Silver Member

link to a decent flashlight edu or sticky?

19. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Damn. I was really enjoying the L1D CE I recently bought until handjob helpfully informed me that it's not hazardous-environment rated. After that last time that an otherwise-sealed aluminum flashlight operating at low voltages caused a grain elevator/coal mine/gas station explosion, I'll be more careful!

20. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Should send it in to Mythbusters.

21. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

he's using it to look for fucking lizards :rofl:

22. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

You sound like an OSHA rep...

23. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Will you have power to charge a flashlight, or will you be running on batteries.

I would say a surefire g2 for a small light, you could change out the bulb if you wanted to run rechargeables, and if you can find a magcharger that will fit in your budget, put some wa1160 bulbs in it. It may be a little pricier at first, but no batteries to buy, and the thing is near bulletproof.

Other than that, take a look at pelican, streamlight (I like my polystinger). I would avoid the $30 walmart spot lights, they are not the best for runtime, and I am not sure (I should try) that my mag85 will be more powerful.

24. Willie J

Willie J New Member

25. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Gerber makes a 3 watt LED light that is about the same size as a minimag and takes AA batteries -
    LED and easily replaceable batts are key.
    LIon batteries are cool in the states but difficult to find in the 3rd world.
    Good luck and safe travels.