GUN Flashlight peeps, halp.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phrozenlikwid, May 27, 2009.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

So I was looking at Cable Guy's generous offer, and decided I need/want a decent flashlight for the truck.

I've got ~$50 or so..... What do I want (doesn't have to be Surefire)? Light will be guaranteed to be beat up, possibly used as a hammer, and likely immersed in dirty farm ponds. Uses will be spotting Opossum, frogs, 'Coons, coyotes, and other varmints, as well as general purpose nighttime activities. Will be replacing a big-fucking maglite.

Any ideas? I'm fairly ignorant about this stuff. I just want a light that will last a little while, and have christ-like output, all without being stupid expensive. I'm looking for a tool, not a tacti-cool statement.

2. For under $50 with Cable Guy's offer you can get a G2 LED. That would be my sub $50 choice.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Am I being too cheap?

EDIT: I say that, because that's a small light. My Maglite is the 4D one..... Will the G2 be brighter/throw farther?

4. No. The G2 is a well thought of light. I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money on something that is going to get left in a vehicle. Your other options are likely lights from DealExtreme. Honestly though, with the Cable Guy price on the G2 LED I'd pick that one. If you wanted to spend a little more money, you can pick up a Fenix TK10 or TK11, and they're good lights too, but they give off a much bluer light than the Surefire lights.

5. I only have a 3D Maglite, but my Surefire Z2L (which is rated the same Lumens as the G2 LED) is definitely brighter.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Cool cool. Yeah, I wasn't crazy about dropping big $$ on a flashlight, as I'm pretty hard on them and it's just something to keep in the truck.

'preciate the help.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I should probably just get a fucking spotlight for what I do. I want to be able to light up the next hillside over.

[​IMG]

20,000,000 candlepower sounds interesting......

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

:eek3::eek3:

Sweet merciful christ..... I want. That one I showed was like $80, but that shit right there is craaaazzzy. I could signal planes with that thing. Combine that with one of those crazy powered green lazers and I can't imagine the trouble I could get in.

9. BLH

BLH Member

10. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

You'll probably be better off with a spotlight. For what you want to do, you'll want lots of throw and incans have much better throw than LEDs.

If you do want a SF, I'd go with a 6P running the p91 on some rechargables. That may be a little over your budget, though.

11. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

I like my EagleTac T10C2...lights up the entire block, and it's small/durable and reasonably priced.

12. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16501

Ive used this one at work, military, carry it my car. Beat to shit still works just fine. Gets kinda warm on high mode, Ive had people tell me it gets to hot for them but I just associate it with being :hay:

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  13. LancerV

Incandescents dont have a better throw than LED's than reason why spot lights have a good amount of throw is there reflector not the fact its an incandescent bulb.

14. LancerV

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I have several G2z and G3 surefire lights. Both are reasonably inexpensive so I'm not afraid to use them as a tool. The G3 is what I use for night matches and would be my choice for a fighting light. Stock it's like 105 lumens and with the turbo head it's like 200 lumens. I think it's as good as the m3's the coppers are using at the night matches at like 1/6th the price. It's just not as tacticool looking. Still because it's like $60 retail I have no problem treating it like a tool.

I got a half dozen of the g2z's that I've picked up off prize tables. I keep them in the truck and around the house as general flashlights. When I carry a flashlight it's the G3. I have 2 g3's

I don't do the LED thing mostly because I've never bought a surefire. If I saw one on the prize table I would have no problem grabbing one. The regular surefires are brighter though. I get batteries for cost from my camera shop buddy so I really don't stress on battery life much.

16. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Well, if you must spend, get the G2 and then get a Luxeon LED conversion from batteryjunction for the maglite to blow the rest of the 50$.

17. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

18. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

19. Willie J

Willie J New Member

you can't go wrong with dealxtreme lights, their cree models are amazing. but for the price of those G2, i would get one

20. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Home defense shotgun light. Just sleep with sunglasses on.
    :cool:

21. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Stanley has a pistol-grip HID spotlight at many wal-marts for around $80 that doesn't have the best throw, but puts out a hell of a lot more light than anything else in a comparable size for the price. I've been meaning to buy one, but keep getting sidetracked by the depressingly empty ammunition section.

22. LancerV

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-HID01..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1243488558&sr=8-1

23. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

White LED is a real mixed bag. Some people love the higher color temps, other people hate them. Some complain that they have the effect of "flattening" out an outdoor scene if their spectrum is too blue (I've seen this myself and it's eerie). They typically render colors better than an incandescent bulb, but a lot of research has indicated that the red/yellow spectrum of an incandescent is better outdoors at night. Generations of people using halogen headlights in cars and incandescent bulbs in flashlights have conditioned people to the spectrum. Indoors, LED's seem to do better due to the different average color balances, shorter distances, and general lack of humidity/dust in the air.

Incansecents are inherently simpler than LED and the #1 failure mode (blown bulb) is easily addressed... unlike a failed LED (which is rare, but happens).

I have a TLR-1 on the G17 mostly because of the inherent shock-resistance of LED and its greater efficiency. It's definitely not as bright as incan weaponlights nor even newer LED weaponlights.