GUN Flashlight crew... R18650s worth a shit?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Nov 4, 2009.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

FIL got a job as a security guard... graveyard shift driving/walking the grounds of a moth-balled prison a couple of nights a week. They are kind of strapped so I was going to hook him up with a good light. It is in a rural area and I expect the most challenging part of the job will be staying awake, not the type of the deal where he'll be running his light 6 hours a night.

I was thinking a TK11 with a couple of R18650 cells and a charger. But I've generally had bad luck with rechargable anything, so I was wondering if I'd just be better off spending that money on two or three dozen CR123A cells... doubt he'll even burn through a set per week and I don't really see this being something he is still doing in 6 months.

:dunno:

2. Dr.Rhombus

Dr.Rhombus New Member

They are very good. It's just that since they're Lithium Ion, you have to have an understanding of how they work, what their tolerances are, what kind of charger they will charge best on (correct algorithms and such), whether they're protected or unprotected, and how to store them correctly, or they are liable to go !POOF!

That being said, cr123 are much more stable, expensive and hassle free.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

WTF, I need an electrical engineering degree for a fucking rechargeable battery? Fuck that.

TK10 + 12 pack of Surefire 123A's

4. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

They really aren't that complicated and any decent charger will keep you from damaging the batteries. If you go cheap on the charger just don't charge them above 4.2v (4.1v seems to be a good stopping point) or faster than than 1C. I'm a fan of the AW protected Li-Ions and 2600mah out of one battery sounds pretty sweet to me.

5. R134

R134 New Member

I like rechargeable, I end up using the light more because I'm a cheap ass with the 123's. My protected 18650s run a long time. Just get protected cells and a decent charger.

6. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Just get a drop in Li-Ion Charger and some protected 18650's. I use Li-Ions in my modded Surefire daily and a few other lights.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I'm still a fan of the multiple-D cell pipe lights :o

I used one when I did night security at a campground, always helpful when around a lot of cash late at night or drunks in the woods to know you have 8 pounds in your hand :o

8. BLH

BLH Member

Its hard to beat a flashlight and a 'jackass be good stick' all rolled into one.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

:rofl:

Exactly.

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

truth.

only reason I carry a 4 "D" MagLite in my truck instead of a brighter/smaller alternative.

11. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Both types of lights certainly have their uses, I love the compactness and usability of a small Surefire or similar light but there is something about the heft of a Mag-Light that's nice as well. I really like my Mag-Lite after doing the P7 LED upgrade, 10 times brighter with a nice hotspot in the center of a wall of light.

12. Golfer

Golfer OT Supporter

Just to whore my shit out I used the 18650 on my jetbeam and I have no complaints.
    check out www.bugoutgearusa.com

Im using AW 18650 Li-Ion Battery and Pila Battery Charger

[​IMG]

13. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

I recently rediscovered my good old 4D Maglight after unpacking from my move. And yeah, I must say... when you hear something strange at night, it's nice to walk around with that and know that if you have to swing at somebody, it's there and in your hand. I don't want to be walking around my house all tactical with my gun drawn at every little sound.