A&P flash painting round 1

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Gerbonium, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

only some minor color/contrast tweeks and cropped out the bottom 1/3 post processed.

i originally had it framed better but then moved the camera back like 15 feet and just shot. anyways the main purpose of this was to try shooting running around with the flash. this was the best one:o i think i need to find a darker area to get better results. would have shot more (only got like 10 shots fired) but it was butt fucking cold and i couldnt feal either of my thumbs so called it a night

[​IMG]

dont be gentle - rip me to shreds if u must. i want to learn how to do this properly.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i dont like all the light from the house in the background. just my opinion. find a darker area.

3. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Houselights are overexposed. If you're going to light the car like that I think you need another in the middle above the camera. Just having 2 on either end of the car feels weird and unnatural. You should have 1 key light (or band of keylights as I suggested above) to give the car form and then use the others as fill.

4. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

WB is off... looks a little on the blue side. I'm going to guess you shot in AWB?

well.. let me elaborate... you have 2 different color temps going on. AWB tried to get them correct but couldn't. You need to gel your flash to match the "ambient" light from the house/lamps to be able to get accurate WB through out the whole scene.

5. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

i shot in raw and didnt spend a whole lot of time working on the colors. i was a bit worried about that when i was shooting with the lights on the buildings obviously gonna be a different temp. i just got the 430ex so no gels yet, seeing as im pretty broke right now no more camera stuff for awhile. i have an idea for a darker place without the differing lights that ill try soon.

should i be closer or further away with the flash? i dont remember exactly my positioning on this one bc i changed a lot but often was holding it standing up which i want to say i was for the back but might have been kneeing down for the front of the car.

6. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

I really don't like the composition at all, the background also doesn't work and is blown out / wb off as others mentioned.. if you are going to have a busy background, at least expose it nicely.

also that is a really boring angle to shoot a car from..

what were your settings?

7. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

20 sec at f8 iso400 with me running around firing the flash once it had charged up. typically about 2-3 flashes per exposure

8. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

I would go to f13+ and use MORE flashes at lower power, i probably fired 20+ flashes for this shot.

[​IMG]

but before doing any of that, frame the shot better / pick a better angle for the car.

9. nastyboy132

nastyboy132 New Member

strictly speaking, this is not framed well.
    you want the empty space to the side that the vehicle is 'heading in' or pointed whatever you want to say. the empty space on the opposite side just doesn't sit well with the brain.