A&P Flash or Lens?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by widds2v, Oct 1, 2008.

1. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I have an XTi w/ kit lens.. I'd say I'm not a complete noob with it, but I'm still new to photography. Always read to stick with the kit lens until you feel comfortable then upgrade. Well with the 30% live cashback deal back on ebay, I want to do some upgrading.

Already bought the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS based off of reviews over at fredmiranda, and the fact that I got it for $189 new. Couldn't really justify the $800 more a 70-200 f/4 IS L lens would of cost me with the type of pictures I do.

Now to cover the other side of the spectrum I was looking at the Tamron 17-50mm, however the topic of a flash came up. I'd be looking at the speedlite 430ex. I do some indoor photography, mostly outdoors though. Would you recommend grabbing the flash and just keeping kit lens (I could even grab the flash and a 50mm f/2.5 for the same price as the tamron) or upgrade the lens and just stick with the cameras flash for now?

2. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

for mostly outdoors - I would go with the lens first and see how much more you need if a flash is really needed. You might have more than enough light given that the Tammy has a larger maintained aperature than what you are currently used to a full stop 9which is equal to double btw) of the minimum your 55-250 can do.

I think worst case, with the lens, and shooting raw, if you can not get a clean shot right out of the camera, you should be able to easily get it back in post.

and the lens is more fun than the flash

3. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I bought my 580EX II before my 70-200 f/4L and regretted it. I'd go with the glass first unless you find yourself currently not getting shots because of inadequate light.

4. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

ya i thought about it more and bought the tamron

got the tamron 17-50 for $280 and the canon 55-250 for $180. overall pleased :) should be a fun upgrade from my old kit lens.

5. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Kudos on the tamron... not so much on the canon, that's going to be the same or worse than your kit lens.

6. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

gets pretty high reviews for being worse than the kit lens.

7. Spurious

Spurious New Member

It gets good reivews because it's a value lens. If someone gets non-prime glass for less than $300 and it doesn't literally blind them, they give it a good review. It's plastic, doesn't have USM and is F5.6 on the outside, makes it just about worthless for anything besides shooting directly into the sun.

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

so basically it sucks because it isn't a L lens.

seeing as a telephoto isn't going to be used for much more than outdoor type shots as it is (at least in my case, my shooting environments indoors are way to up close to make use a 55mm+ lens), i don't see an issue.

but of course since it was only 200 bucks it cannot possibly be a decent lens. i've looked over hundreds of photos taken by it in all different sorts of settings, and while the pictures it produces might not be winning any photography awards, it takes pictures at least, most of the time better than the kit lens im using now, has IS, and the obvious capability to zoom further than the 55mm i have now is a plus.

9. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Yeah that's what I said.

10. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Honestly, the difference between USM focusing and whatever the old style is called is massive and worth the price of admission if you're doing anything but still landscapes.

11. vgeek

vgeek New Member

What about the Sigma 24-60 f/2.8? They can be had for $225 new and have had really good reviews.