WEB Flash is out played and unprofessional?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Naturally Baked, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

Ok so heres my opinion on flash:

I think the only time its acceptable to use flash is if it is for a portfolio, with a few other exceptions. If you're a company using flash, especially if the website is their main source of contact with the business, then flash can greatly ruin a users experience. Not every computer can handle flash, and you can't even guarantee the end user will have flash installed or even know what flash is. If you're going to offer a flash website, at least offer an alternative HTML site. I know for me, I never use flash unless its for a banner or small parts of the site and I can make my sites look just as clean as a flash site without all the loading and slowness. I know from experience that flash is very confusing for some people and an HTML site can provide the same esthetically pleasing design and a flash site can, without the lag brought with animation

What do you guys think? Is flash out played and unprofessional for a business?

2. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

its played out for the main website content...but if its ok if its a video player, or some interface that that needs a lot of visualization

3. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Your statements are that of personal nature and biased.
    The flash player has the highest penetration of any multimedia platform available on the internet. Surpassing WMP and Quicktime.
    99% of the computers in the US have at least flash player 7 installed.
    To say that is biased.

Flash "CAN" be used extensively for anything that the user wishes, as long as they know how to use it correctly.
    Like any platform or language, abuse and misuse can interrupt the user experience.

Personally, I prefer nice CSS/javascript based html sites. But, to go on record and trash a platform based on shitty sites you have seen in the past is mute.

If your audience is looking specifically for a multimedia experience? Then there is NO alternative to flash.
    Yes, you can do some cool shit with good scripts, but nothing matches flash for multimedia.

MOST major company website targeted for the consumer usually incorporates some flash when needed.
    Adobe.com
    Microsoft.com
    BMW.com
    Mercedes.com
    All the big 3 manufacturers etc.

I am sure that they have done far more research into what their customers expect from them than someone posting on a forum.

Hate flash all you want. But, embrace it as a "tool" or "enhancement" and your abilities to reach a broader audience with a richer experience will increase.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

in for epic lulz.

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of flash sites. But I think that it can certainly be used as a useful tool. I read an article a year ago or so about how flash is more popular than ever because so many computers have flash installed by default. Although I do wish that they were all pre-installed with the latest version of flash because I have encountered the problem with computers not having the latest version of flash.

6. conRAD

conRAD New Member

Most designers I know frown down on flash, and only designers (and only some designers at that). Any typical internet user I speak to generally enjoys a flash site if it isn't a burden to navigate.

7. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Dot.
    Its usually designers that frown on it. Try telling a user that they will enjoy a clean CSS over flash and they will look at you like you have 3 heads.

8. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

or epic failure :dunno:

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

My designers praise it. A little bit too much. :sad2:

10. conRAD

conRAD New Member

I know a handful of designers who see flash and pee themselves in joy, and others who hate any site if they see flash no matter what it is for and how it is. Both sides suck.

11. GotVtec

GotVtec 8th World Wonder

How else do you plan on making videos a unified source across all browsers?

12. rtfm

rtfm omgwtfbbq

I avoid using flash in my web apps and sites, There is nothing flash can do these days with the exception of complex animations that can't be done with CSS/XHTML/Javascript with a fraction of the loading time. Entire websites should never be 100% flash or have it's main content in flash for many reasons (unless the main content is a video/other multimedia presentation), including lack of indexing and ability to link to pages, lack of support for disabled users, etc.

13. projectalpha

projectalpha 二號 Stunna

in

14. GotVtec

GotVtec 8th World Wonder

Isn't it something like 97% of users have Flash installed on their machines?

15. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

flash can be done well, but id rather have things open quickly than have to watch bullshit animations for everything

16. flash is not very far from being the standard for interactive media these days. actually, it pretty much IS the only gate to interactive media that is available to the public and norm. there are other forms of course, but in general, flash is here to stay.

17. Javi

Javi New Member

I had to install Flash professional the other day for a customer who HAD to have a simple flash app. I was pissed. :mad:

18. symptic

symptic I run companies

Flash is a great platform for particular instances. However, the trend of the web these days is building highly interactive information rather than highly interactive interfaces. One could say "web 2.0" is all about expanding the social power of the user, which flash is more or less counter-intuitive in doing.

That said, companies like Fantasy Interactive can still deliver great content for their clients in a Flash-based atmosphere.