WEB Flash > HTML Version.Online Sales

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alex1234, Nov 15, 2007.

1. alex1234

alex1234 New Member

Now with 1000's of sites offering the same product, I wanted to differentiate my site from theirs through a cool looking website. (PS I helped design, I didn't make the site).

The site is completely flash, lots of interesting features, new stuff being added soon (site went up recently).

What do you guys think? Loading time is definitely a drawback, but I like it.

https://www.eAZdeals.com/

Login Alex
    Pass aaaa

Please login to see the order tracking.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. alex1234

alex1234 New Member

Woah buddy.

We will have links to specific items real soon, and script to auto create html pages for each product for search engines.

Back end is not done, right now I'm using the phpmyadmin from 1and1 hosting.

Cart is through paypal, all integrated. $30 extra a month :(

I'll make a 'test' login for you guys to see the my account.

You can track previous orders and all that jazz.

3. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

i think you need to pick up a book regarding usability and best practices. I saw at least 5-6 alarming things in your layout. Aside from that its cool idea if you want to limit your site to be accessed only by people who have flash players installed or fast connections and hardware.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195166236&sr=8-1

note: I have worked on over 30 retail websites compusa.com including so I have some experience when it comes to retail usability and best practices when it comes to design, layout and navigation

4. alex1234

alex1234 New Member

LOLZILLA, sorry I added it to the first post,
    Login Alex
    Pass Correction password is 'aaaa'

I said woah buddy because you said we can't link products, but its coming soon, keep your britches on! haha.

I'm not clear on your question about a system, for payment? It's a paypal virtual terminal, if that answers it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  5. alex1234

alex1234 New Member

Can you please point out a couple alarming things?

Yes, I realize the usability is limited to good conneciton, pc.

Other than that, I don't think there is a problem to navigate the site, but I am pretty computer savy.

We are trying to 'dumb it down' to the common user's level.

Keep in mind, the whole point isn't to be easy, it's to stand out.

Thanks for info, checking that link now.

6. alex1234

alex1234 New Member

Oh!

No, we didn't use anything like that.

All custom done by the web designer, this guy is pretty good.

I can ask which programs he uses, I know the list was pretty extensive.

7. rtfm

rtfm omgwtfbbq

pretty much anything you can do with flash is possible with some creative javascript and css coding, plus you don't have to worry about huge load times and plugins like you do with flash.

8. pkr

pkr Guest

Don't use the "alt" tag on images esp. if it's a flash based site.

9. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

cudos on taking a different approach.
    - dont worry about the folks crying about non-flash player systems. Last i checked, about 99% of the internet users and most likley 100% of your target customer base will be able to run the site.
    If you keep your scripting down to a minimum and the animations down, your site should do fine with lower cpu based systems.

You are already taking steps to ensure a good page rank, so no comment there.

Honestly, I would get rid of the drag and drop to the cart. When you think about it, the "buy" button is just about the simplest way you can go. I suspect that the drag feature is nifty but will not be used much.

Switch to html for the FAQ page or find a way to use mousewheel scrolling.

Again, nice site. Im impressed since you dont see too many eccommerced flash sites.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:werd:

Users not having flash installed was a problem years ago. It's not much of an issue anymore, unless you take SEO into strong consideration. Even then he seems to be taking the steps to get his content cached on search engines.

Today, the most commonly used browser is Firefox, that is until average computer users get around to updating their computer so their IE6 can be upgraded to IE7. Updating isn't a problem since FireFox auto-installs necessary and common plug-ins.

We're in 2007. I wonder how many people out there actually avidly use their 400mhz Pentium III's to browse the web. I'd hardly call flash a performance issue these days.

11. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Flash = FTL since no search engine reads flash as of now.

Then again if you only want to bring in visitors through market campaigns that do not involve search engine traffic, then its fine.

Design isnt what makes the store good... its the service, reputation and prices.

Why should a user buy from you instead of newegg or zipzoomfly? Because you have prettier graphics? I dont think so... What esle are you doing better then those two online stores?

12. maxxpower

You missed his post

13. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

You missed my point ;)

14. maxxpower

I got your point, saying that how the business operates and what if offers the customers is more important than a platform. I was just pointing out the fact that he has taken into consideration page rank so your "flash=ftl" because of search engines isnt accurate.

15. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Page Rank is pretty worthless by itself as it doesnt really represent anything.

Ok anyways, this isnt a SEO thread :mamoru:

16. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

Pretty good, but is it SEO friendly? Flash usually isn't.

17. dawgboye

dawgboye I'm a businessman who's commodity happens to be co

holy FUCKING READ THE THREAD

18. alex1234

alex1234 New Member

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I will update you guys with exact info on SEO and the script for auto HTML pages.

Basically, there will be a small HTML page for each product, that google caches, showing prices, specs etc. They click it, and it loads the flash, but is on the product, not the home page. Should be good. We are also working on aggressive local adverting (getting printed ads, posters, PC shows).

19. alex1234

alex1234 New Member

You will see really low prices, good customer service, toll free number, local company (for the Arizona residents obviously) Local delivery and installation available.

PLUS a nifty lookin site. Maybe you didn't see the drag and drop, cause that sold me!!!! Well, atleast my dad likes it :wiggle:

Why not buy from us?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  20. Javi

Javi New Member

Customers like a website where the products come up fast, and a no-nonsense type of page.

It sounds like to me that every time you have to update a product, then that HTML page for SEO would have to be recreated. It could be a time consuming process when your inventory gets pretty big.

Your search results are at the bottom of the page. They should be near the top for better visibility. The search should also not be at the bottom.

As for design: for customer driven sites, it's not the most important thing out there. Reliability, customer service and prices. I've seen really butt-ugly sites do well because the three things I mentioned are present.

21. elekt

elekt New Member

bc your entire site is flash now people can't book mark, send specific links to others, or go back to the previous page without using the nav you integrated.

Flash is great when used in conjunction with dynamic pages to spice it up a bit, but it really should never be used as an entire site.

22. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

Although I agree, but don't knock it yet. Someone has to try it out. If he's successful or not is still to be seen.