WEB FLASH: Dynamic Flash Slide clickthrough

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdw, Jan 5, 2008.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

Have a project I'm working on at work. The SWF is calling calling a Cold Fusion file that is giving off XML. Flash stuffs that into an array. Right now you just click through and each click moves you through the array displaying appropriate info. Number of rows in the array varies.

Now what I'm working on is the transition between slides. (mainly just looking for the logistical workings of it)

Tell me if this is the right way to do this...
    When the next/previous button is clicked, it'll load the data that needs to go into that slide and then play the transition (say slide out the current and slide in the next/previous). Once the transition is done the next/previous clip will now be center stage which means you'll have to copy the contents over to the current clip and empty the next/previous to do it again.

Is there some other way to do this? I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around the logistics of this project. Don't have a whole lot of experience with actionscript (and far from a flash pro) so I'm still trying to learn what's possible.

2. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

I read this 3 times and still dont understand what you are asking.
    There are litterally tons of ways to load images into flash with transitions for a slide show.
    Have you tried downloading pre-existing code and working with it?
    Even flash 8+ has a template to load images as slides I believe.

3. noon

noon get high and teach me how to listen

What is in the XML file, a list of image urls? It sounds like you are describing the right process.. what exactly are you confused about?

4. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Ok, I read it again...
    Are you loading the slides into specific frames. You can call a transition movie into that frame when the "next" button is pressed. Essentially playing a fade over top of the image that is loaded.

5. jdw

jdw New Member

That's the issue... I'm still having trouble understanding what I'm asking..

The one I've got set up now was a code file my company bought (cheap) and I've just short of rewritten it all (it never did what I'm looking for to begin with). Spent most of today looking for something similar to what I want to do and haven't found it.

For reference, go to http://abcnews.go.com/ . The displays for the headlines and the 'watch video' section are basically what I'm trying to accomplish but with Flash.

6. jdw

jdw New Member

A list of information that's getting displayed, including a URL to an image. Getting everything loaded in is not the issue. Right now with each click it loads the appropriate bit of information into the movie clip on the stage.

Basically...

Load first info into movie clip on stage (static_mc)

On click:
    Copy info on stage into movie clip that'll slide off stage (moveoff_mc)
    Load new info into movie clip off stage (moveon_mc)
    Hide static clip (static_mc)
    Transition (moveon_mc slides into stage, static_mc slides off)
    Copy new into static (moveon_mc into static_mc)
    Show static clip (static_mc now with info from moveon_mc)
    Return to beginning...

That's how I'm thinking this has to happen, but it 'looks' like it'll be using a lot of resources to do it... Basically, I'm wondering.. Is there an easier way to think about (do) this?

7. noon

noon get high and teach me how to listen

That's the way I would do it. Is the initial array taking up a lot of resources? Other then that it looks pretty minimal.

8. jdw

jdw New Member

it's not bad...

Unless I get some more thoughts from someone I'll probably go this route then. I hate trying to reverse engineer/break down/modify shit. I always work better figuring out how what does what, then starting from scratch.