Flash drive/thumb drive...best gadget in a long time.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Abraxis, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I'm looking at getting a new one, a Sony Micro Vault, either 256 Ev or 128 version that has a docking station. Looks like Sony offers some good software to go with them you can download.

Know any good places to buy online? Anyone have an opinion on these?

2. Alec

Alec Guest

I can't see that the software will be much of an issue. If you're running XP it'll just show up in 'My Computer' as a removable drive.

Additionally, compared to alternatives the Sony is a little pricey. Whether you're willing to pay the premium depends on your desire for something which looks marginally more pleasing than a cheaper option.

I can't speak for the US, but the UK version of eBuyer has always served me well in terms of value and good service. Below are a few alternatives you may like to consider.

Kingston: $22.11
    Lexar: $24.40
    SimpleTech: $25.50
    ScanDisk: $26.58

Hope that helps.

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

It really is pricey, since I couldn't find it locally. Shipping ran the price up close to $80 for the one I wanted. However, I found it on Ebay, new & sealed for $45 w/shipping. Not bad at all.
    The software is on Sony's site. I didn't find another one that had all of this software. If only the software worked on other brands I could have saved some, but I need the 256 mb anyway. I keep filling up the 128 mb I have now.

http://www.sony.net/Products/Media/Microvault/1-2e.html

*Welcome to OT :wavey:

4. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

On The Screen Savers on Tech TV they showed this freeware software program for password saving. You can set your thumbdrive as the key to unlock the password software instead of having a password to get into the database. Similar to the Autologin idea:

http://keepass.sourceforge.net/

5. Bryansix

Bryansix Guest

sounds like a bad idea. Lose your thumbdrive and lose your life.

On the other hand AMEX thought this through and came up with a secure solution. On thier blue cards they have a smart card chip that can store your personal info. This is used to autofill forms when you have the card inserted in your computers smart card reader. The security comes in the form of a pin that is required everytime the card is accessed. So lose the card and nothing of value is lost.

6. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I'm trying out the keepass software. So far, I like it. You install the software on your computer, but the key and/or database is on the thumbdrive. It isn't in a usable form on it's own, it takes both parts to do it. You don't have to store the database on your thumbdrive, you can store that on your HD with the software. However, you can use your thumbdrive for a "key" instead of a password to access your passwords. That way the database isn't even on the thumbdrive, in case the person who takes it/finds it, has Keepass on their computer too. I'm just using it for a key.

I did find that Sony 256mb on Ebay for $40, new. The software is very glitchy and the instructions on their website renders the drive useless for the Micro Vault software (no longer recognized as a Sony drive). There's no support whatsoever for it, so it's just a 256mb drive now. Ok other than that.

7. a little OT but...have you guys heard of any thumb drives that are very compatable with both windows XP and Macintosh? at school the DA labs use macs, but I use xp

8. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I think all of the one's I looked at were Mac & Win compatible. The only difference is that the software that comes with some of them is NOT compatible. The drive itself is fine.

9. o, so if I just dont use the software, im good? if you could explain the software that would be cool to. I don't understand why there is ANY software...its just a removable drive right? now the ones that also function as mp3 players..those I can undestand. Thanks for the help man

10. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Some come with software for PC lock (locks down your PC unless the drive is in), password protection for the drive or a folder on the drive, etc. Those don't work on Mac's, but the drive itself does which is what's important.

11. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

My roomate gave me a 512 meg and I use it all the time. We have them laying all over the room. I think there are about 6 in here

12. strath

strath sleep all day, drink your life away

i bought 2 64mb DSE flash drives for $90 AUS, they have flashing lights in them ..... so pretty.

13. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

That Sony Microvaule I bought is completely screwed up. It loses memory when it's unplugged now. Formatted with the software on their site "in case of malfunction" and the software that it came with won't load (doesn't recognize the drive as a Sony now) and it STILL won't keep anything stored.

POS.

14. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Abraxis,

Thank you for the headsup. I was going to purchase one of those things soon, I really didn't want to get screwed over. Has tech support helped any?

-Nathan

15. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Tech support is completely NON EXISTANT for the Microvault. I mean that literally, not just because I'm mad at Sony. You get sent in circles and there is no one that can help.

Call the help line, you have to input the device you need help with. It sends you to the website. It has no info other than to use the downloadable formatting software if you are having problems. I did that and the supplied software no longer works. It makes the drive unrecognizable as a Sony Microvault, so the software won't install. The cd supplied software and downloaded versions both do this.

I tried the online tech support email. There is a link for everything BUT the Microvault. For the Microvault, you're sent back to the webpage I just described. I tried sending a message to tech support for a different type of storage device, but they said they couldn't help and referred me to the useless phone number and the useless webpage. I sent message after message, no luck. I tried this on Sonystyle.com too, but got the same circles. I couldn't get any attention even complaining about the lack of support for it because they don't have a Microvault dept to even think about THAT.

It's a clusterfuck. Don't buy it.

I'm shopping for another one. Maybe the Imation that has a swivel sleeve instead of a cap? Nothing to lose that way. Also, even when it was working well, I didn't really like the length of the Sony. My Memorex 128mb is a lot smaller and also a lot more solid feeling. I haven't had problems with it at all, but it's slow and not really a brand name I'm crazy about.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  16. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  17. johnson

johnson New Member

I ordered a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 512MB from buy.com the other day for $45 shipped. Hopefully itll get here soon. Its supposed to be about 1/3 smaller than the regular Cruzer Mini.

18. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I got that Titanium I showed there. This thing is perfect, just what I wanted. The slide out plug is nice, the light is very large, a blue led under the slide out button, it's very thin and light and the titanium is really nice constrution.
    Came with some encryption software and some other thing I'm not messing with. No backup cd, but you can download it all from the site I think.
    Key ring that goes on the end (and won't break off) as well as a metal slide-on clip.

19. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

I got one through work and really like it.