Flac to mp3 converter

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bowengoh, Oct 31, 2006.

1. bowengoh

bowengoh OT Supporter

What's the quickest easiest way to convert flac music files to mp3? Best program?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

3. hyukki

hyukki ._.

May I ask what a flac is? Which program uses this extension? :eek3:

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

FLAC is Free Lossless Audio Codec
    Most autophile people say it's the best way to the truest audio sound from ripping CD. But the files are still rather large.

While that link above might be free, personally I have a problem with uploading a large file and have no control over what kind of quality of an MP3 you'll get back.

I recently had to convert some FLAC files to mp3 as well. I'm not saying this is the best way or extremely easy but it worked.
    Download and install this plugin for Winamp http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=131643
    This will let you play FLAC files in Winamp.
    Now open Winamp goto Options->Preferences->Plug-ins->Output and select Nullsoft Disk Writer. (optional: click the config button and set where to save the files to)
    Now put your FLAC files in the playlist and click the play button. You won't hear anything, this is normal.
    When the playlist is done, look in the folder you set to save the file and you'll see wav files.
    I then used AudioGrabber (but any CD ripper that converts to mp3 as well will/should work just as well) and set the mp3 quality to what I wanted.
    Then select the WAV files drag&drop them to AudioGrabber and it'll ask what to do just tell it to convert to MP3 and it'll take care of the rest (just make sure you know where that's saving files to as well).

You're kind of on your own to get the ID3 tag info back in. However I used MP3tag http://www.mp3tag.de to handle that since it has a Filename->tag feature so I could atleast get the track number, artist, song title and sometimes even the album name in into the ID3tag. I then used it to rename the files using it's tag->filename to get them renamed the format I like.

It sounds like more work than it's worth, but all of the programs are free. Once you get the hang of it it becomes easy.

I'm sure there are programs out there that can do all of that quick and easy with just the touch of a single button, but those usually cost money too.

5. hyukki

hyukki ._.

:eek3: