fixing weirdo computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicotino16, Jun 9, 2004.

1. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

all the sudden my computer is being a peice of shit, first, nothing will open unless i close everything because theres not enough memory it says...it used to be just fine...then my internet explorer lost all the toolbars and i cant get them back, and under toolbars its ok, and my aim is all messed up so i cant read what people say. anybody know how to fix the memory part though?

2. Brian

Brian New Member

more details

Operating system
    How much ram u have

how much spyware u have how many viruses lol jp about last 2 but um it may be spyware or a virus but tell me the 1st 2

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

If this is a new problem I'd go with spyware and/or viruses. Download Lavasoft's AdAware for the spyware - it's free and works great. If that doesn't clean things up for you then get Norton Anti-virus (if you don't already have an anti-virus program). It costs $10-20 for a CD w/ 1 year subscription - depending on where you buy.

Last but not least - KEEP WINDOWS UPDATED. Since Windows 98 Microsoft has been releasing critical windows updates. Simply go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

You NEED to keep up with this. There have been several new exploits recently that these updates patch. If you don't then you kinda screw yourself.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It sounds like it's time for a format. I've seen some similar problems like that before, but it can get to a point where it's not worth trying to fix. You can probably backup up all of your important stuff, format, and re-install much faster than trying to find the problem.

HTH

5. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

yeah its windwons 98, and it has 224mb of ram, or somewhere in the 200 range at least, its a peice of shit, i think we are just going to use the compaq restore disks and start over..