fixing up windows services?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rellik, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Rellik

Rellik New Member

i dont know if it was a virus or if someone disabled some key service that caused everything to go to shit, but the windows services got disabled or broken and werent able to be started up... basically the computer was barely running. i reinstalled windows and this time it let me enable services again (ie sound started working again when i turned windows audio service back on, etc..)

so the computer works now, but a few services still cant get started up, the "dependancies" tab in service properties always gives me an "interface: class not registered" error, my Ipod no longer updates songs from i-tunes when i plug it in (was it supposed to show up in My Computer as a device? cause it doesnt...), when i plug in a cellphone it doesnt show up in My Computer either so there might be a USB device problem, I think autoplay stopped working too... is there any way to restore all this stuff to defaults (i assume its a service or registry problem)???

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You didn't say which service you were trying to access that wouldn't allow you to use the dependancies tab. Or for that matter, why it matters to you.

Have you looked to see if your usb drivers are installed properly?

As far as autoplay goes, what programs are you installing when you reinstall windows? Some programs have a habit of hijacking every fucking setting on your pc. I would personally like to punch the people at Real Player in the face for that.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

4. Rellik

Rellik New Member

thanks for the info maybe it is the drivers because i just realized the sound drivers were screwed up even though sound was working (but not on all channels)

and the depencies tab gives me an error for every service