Fixing up my car, got a few ?s

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by KiddX, Jul 22, 2004.

1. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

im fixing my protege up, getting it painted and a new interior put in it, but i have a few questions for you folks who have been through this before.

the estimate on the paint job, with bodywork and a custom color, is $1,460. im thinking this is too much, do you think it would be reasonable if i went in with 1,250-1,300 cash and offered that? also is there anything i should do before the paint job, such as taking pics of the car? and can i ask the paint shop for a sample of the paint before i commit to anything? the color is a very dark green that looks black unless sun shines on it, i dont want them just painting it black and ripping me off.

as for the interior, i was thinking that i would find a good set of seats from the Protege GT and getting them wrapped in black suede. what would a place that does car interior charge to do something like that?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

$1460 is too low for a quality paint job. About $1000 too low. Actually, for custom painting, maybe $2000 too low.

Good paint work does not come cheap.

I'd call around in your area to get several estimates on both the paint and interior work. Too hard to say what the going rate is in your area.

3. R6EXTERRA

R6EXTERRA New Member

I am in the process of doing a widebody strosek convertion to my car.

I was quoted $7000.00 just for paint and another $6000 for body work and widebody.

This is taking everything off my car. Windows, trim, body panels etc. Everything gets painted seperate.

This is a full custom paint job. These guys are absolutely incredible. The work they do is far superior than most exotic manufacturers.

I would say you would be looking at about $3-5k for a good quality paint job. If I was painting a portege....well I probably would not spend more than you are paying.

Ps. And it does NOT hurt to ask for a better deal while paying cash. Now if you dickered and dealed with the guy already...don't waste his time.

4. flip2jetta

flip2jetta Guest

That's too cheap man. I got quoted $700 just to repaint a quarter panel that got sideswiped, and that was just a repaint w/ no body work. If you're even considering this shop I would take a detailed look at thier work. As they said above expect to pay Atleast $3-5k for a quality paint job.

5. KiddX

well, its not a place you would go for a show quality paint job. but i did look at some of the cars that they had painted, and they looked very nice. the paint job also comes with a 3 year warranty.

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

What's covered in that warranty?

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Quality shops warranty paint and body work for the life of the car (provided you still own it).

8. KiddX

i only have 1500 to spend, thats the catch. im not looking for an awsome paint job, just something that makes it look restectable.

as you can see, right now it looks like a cow
    [​IMG]

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:rofl: :rofl: i would pick a color out of the book simply becasue if you get a custom color and get a scratch in it they will not be able to match it that price seems a little on the low side make sure they are going to cut and buff for that price also are they paining under the hood and the door jambs will they be removing parts to paint ect. ask a ton of questions to they body guys they ahte it but it will make them not miss the detaisl becasue they dont want you brinign the car back having it redone

10. KiddX

. , <--- these make things easier. but yes, im getting the hood and jambs painted as well. and i asked a bunch of ?'s to the girl who did the estimate, and the warranty covers any imperfections in the paint, like flaking, peeling, bubbling and so on.

11. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Make sure you ask the questions flyfrog told you to ask - if you don't, you'll wish you did. Anyway, I would find somewhere else. Like Scott said, good shops (even decent ones) warranty their work for life.