Fixing new paint up

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Nisstec, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Nisstec

Nisstec Guest

Ok I had my car painted a while ago. It has a bit of orange peeling and other stuff but hasn't been sanded or buffed etc?

What is the best way to do this as I am scared and dont want to screw my paint up... :(
  2. bmf

bmf Guest

This is a project for pros, IMO. I'd first talk to the painter and see what he'll do for you. Many will do a buff out as a final step but others will charge you for it. Has it been 30-60 days since the repaint? If not then you need to wait until the paint is fully cured. Again, your painter will know exactly how long you should wait.

To remove orange peel, color sanding is the best process. But it's alos the best way to fawk up the paint job. Many paint shops do this as do some pro detailers. But ask for referrals and ask to see color sanding jobs they've done before letting them go at your car. After color sanding and a correct polish with a rotary buffer your car will look liquid. FWIW, when I did color sanding I'd charge $250 & up for the whole job.

I don't think you should tackle this one yourself unless you have a lot of experience with buffers and are willing to take a risk in damaging your paint job.
  3. Scottwax

Scottwax The Detailing EDU is stickied in the Detailing for Moderator

May 5, 2000
    You don't have to wait for paint to cure to wetsand and buff, just to wax (you don't want to seal uncured paint-the solvents in it cannot evaporate and the paint will eventually dull).

If you have never done any wet sanding, then you should have it professionally done. You can cut through the clear coat more quickly than you think and then your paint job is history.
  4. SHOWtiMe

SHOWtiMe Guest

Scottwax is right you dont have to wait 4 it to cure but sometimes i let a car cure before i sand on it ... it all depends .. and i would take it to the paint to let him sand unless you know how, if the painter messes up at let he will paint it again that if he not a dick....