Fixing collision damage?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dewpac, Oct 3, 2004.

1. dewpac

dewpac no m/(av|pics|link|turbo|awd)/io no care

I backed into my house tonite because I'm an idiot -- now what can I do to best fix/hide it? Mostly, it looks like house paint from the wooden frame around the garage door, its on a section of my urethane stock rear bumper, about 8"x12". Looks to have dug into the paint, but its fairly dark and I can't really tell.

So, any suggestions on what I can do to remove as much of the brown and repair/blend the remaining black paint on the car?

2. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

body shop. i dont even need to see a pic. body shop.

3. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Unfortunately he's probably right. You'll have to take it to the body shop. A medium or mild polish may get rid of the paint transfer but if there's cuts in the paint and there probably is, then you're going to need to take it to a body shop. I'm in the same boat after being slightly rear ended yesterday. Luckily I'm not paying for it.

4. Priest Tango

i went to school for auto body, and all my friends ALWAYS ask me to take out minor dents from their cars (im 17, and my friends are too....so just imagine) and i always tell em i cant....and they bitch at me :mamoru: its not as easy as just popping out the dent....

5. dewpac

I've got no dents or anything -- it's a plastic bumper. I'm going to give polishing it a shot today and see what happens. I'm really not concerned with fixing it "properly", as I indend on putting a bumper cover off a '97-99 model on it once I can find one at a price I like. I just want to take the brown transfer out for the time being as much as possible.

6. Priest Tango

ooooh. well if theres alot of paint, try wetsanding it off. or try some compound/polish :big grin:

7. sony

sony Active Member

Polish/compound should work. Just take your time and don't rush through it.. :)

8. dewpac

I went to Autozone and picked up the Stage 1/2/3 Meguair's Paint Cleaner, Polish, and Wax. The Stage 1 Paint Cleaner took probably 95% of the house paint off of the car with the exception of a couple deep scratches that would not come out. The Stage 2 Polish cleared up almost all of the scuffing except for those deep ones and one tiny spot where the paint got scraped off the car completely. It doesn't look perfect of course, but it isn't obvious at all unless you're looking for it. Thanks for the advise everyone!