Fixing a PowerMac G3

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Jan 15, 2006.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

233 MHz, 32MB RAM, 4GB (upgraded to 60 GB)... you get the idea. Old. Useless. Anyways, I took it to see if I could get it up and running again. The full plan is to get it working with Linux, and then rig it with explosives and blow it up. But in testing, the screen would not turn on (came with a monitor), but the mac sound occoured. Then, I opened it up more and removed the panels, and dusted it out. Now the power supply is giving up! It will only turn on for just a quick second. Any ideas? Should I just forget it and go right to the exploding?

By the way, the thing was designed really, really well for it's time (1998). Not a tower, but the motherboard sits on the bottom, and the power supply and drives are above it on a hindge. that locks. Basically, it gives you only access to the PCI slots for adding, and the locks keep you from voiding you warranty.

At least, I thought it was pretty smart.

These pics aren't mine... if they don't load, then... meh.
    [​IMG]
    Notice on the right; it's hindged to hideaway the drive, processor, memory, and anything else they could protect under warranty.
    [​IMG]
    The computer feeds the power to the monitor; I kind of think that's stupid, though.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  2. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Opened the PSU today; nothing exploded or disconnected as far as I can tell. But there was white stuff on some of the mixed parts (they weren't all capacitors, for example). Is this glue or did something explode?

3. easy4lif

easy4lif New Member

try to find out of you can overclock EVERYTHING!
    and see if you can load OS 9 on it. I'm sure you can get
    it on ebay