fix for windows not recoginzing the full capacity of your drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hartman, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Hartman

Hartman New Member

just built a new machine with a 160gb SATA. My copy of Windows is SP1 but I upgraded to SP2 after getting the thing stable but XP is still only reading 127gb. I looked online but found only complicated solutions, and I remember fixing this easily before but I can't remember what I did.

Someone refresh my memory? :o

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Hmm. I haven't had to deal with that on XP but I did on NT4. It would only recognize 8GB hard drives until I updated it to SP3. So I installed Windows on a smallish (like 2 GB) partition, leaving the rest of the disk unpartitioned (6 GB according to Windows). After updating Windows, it saw the whole drive and showed 8 GB of unpartitioned space. I used it to create a single 8 GB partition for my data.

3. Hartman

Hartman New Member

you think i could just partition my current formatted drive without reinstalling windows?

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Once the partitions are made, that's it. You can't change them without software like Partition Magic which carries the risk of destroying everything on the volume if anything goes wrong.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The chances of destroying a partition while enlarging it are next-to-nothing. The chances of destroying a partition while shrinking it are somewhat greater, but that can be mitigated by using Norton Speed Disk to pack all your data up against the end of the partition that isn't being adjusted.

Get PartitionMagic and use it to enlarge your partition. You're pretty much guaranteed to use it again eventually, in case you don't like the idea of buying software and using it once. That's what I did, and I've used it a couple of times on other computers already.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I've never had a problem resizing (shrinking, generally) NTFS partitions with GParted. No need to buy PartitionMagic when there's a perfectly good free solution.

7. deusexaethera

Does that come with Ubuntu? Because I have Ubuntu CDs on my desk and I couldn't get the partition utility to expand my current partition when I migrated it to a new disk. Shrinking, sure I've gotten it to do that before, but never expanding.

8. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

9. deusexaethera

No, the problem he has far exceeds the 7% "error" that this article refers to. That "error" isn't really an error anyway, it has to do with the way the capacity is measured. Hard drive manufacturers use multiples of 1000 (1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes, etc.) whereas computer software uses multiples of 1024. The total number of bytes is the same either way. Since computer software measures file sizes using multiples of 1024, it's actually the SOFTWARE that is under-reporting the true quantity of data. A 1-megabyte file isn't 1000000 bytes, it's 1048576 bytes, but you wouldn't know that at first glance; instead of realizing that all files are larger than they appear to be, people assume the hard drives are smaller than they claim. It's the other way around.

10. Hartman

Hartman New Member

My understanding was that this problem was corrected with SP2.....

And the drive is brand new.