GUN Five Seven v. your opinions please

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Civil Disobedient, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

Thinking of getting one, finally, as my first hand gun.

Shot my friends many times on many occasions and I love it.

Just wanted some other opinions about it.

I've heard that as a PDW it's not the best due to the small caliber and round speed, but I figure when you got 20 of em its kind of a moot point.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Not a good idea... both the gun and posting this here. :rofl:

3. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

why?

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Terrible choice, very poor terminal ballistics make it a bad choice for self defense, expensive cost per round make it a bad choice for getting in lots of shooting practice. Buy a 9mm, optionally add a .22lr if you want cheap practice with low recoil. Its a fun gun and nothing more.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Used the 5.7 round in the field in a 5-7 and P90 but used military ammo and the thing is a buzzsaw.
    Civilian ammo makes it fun for target shooting and distance shooting with a pistol. would I carry one as a CCW? not with civilian ammo.

6. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

civillian ammo is different how?

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Sarge doesn't hand it to him.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

We can't buy armor penetrating ammo, but the wound profile even from the AP ammo is poor leading to statements like
    There are lots of papers on it, see for example:
    Roberts G: “Terminal Performance of the 5.7 x 28 mm 31 Grain SS-190 FMJ Bullet Fired by the FN P-90 in 10% Ordnance Gelatin.”, AFTE Journal. In Press.
    Dahlstrom D, Powley K, and Gordon C: “Wound Profile of the FN Cartridge (SS 190) Fired from the FN P90 Submachine Gun". Wound Ballistic Review. 4(3):21-26; Spring 2000.
    Fackler M: "More on the Bizarre Fabrique National P-90", Wound Ballistic Review. 3(1):44-45; 1997.

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Thank god I never bothered reading the papers when actually using it.

Never fails though. Websites and gel test people say it sucks, those that used the weapon say it's good.
    It's designed for close quarters personal defense from a small maneuverable weapon and in that capacity it, like the MP7, do good.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

it'd be a cool range/car gun, but I wouldn't carry one for ccw.

it's also a very poor choice for a first handgun as it is expensive, and so is the ammo.

Stick to 9mm to learn the basics of handgunning

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

It very well may have worked great for you, people have stopped attackers in their tracks with .22lr's as well. It doesn't mean either does sufficient damage to the body to stop a determined attacker with any reliability. "Websites and gel tests" is quite a condescending view to take on papers written with scientific methodology by the top names in the field published in peer reviewed journals. Some people are certain they cured cancer with magnets even if they just got lucky and won the numbers game. To each his own for sure :)

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

yep. scientists vs. actual field use against human attackers. To each his own.

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Pistol never did much for me, and with available ammo its a poor choice for defense, much better guns you could spend the $800 on.

P90 on the other hand I'd probably get one if I didn't live here, very few preban 50rd mags available and can't SBR it here :hs:

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think you mean medical professionals using scientific methodology, who have experience treating gun shot wounds, working as battlefield surgeons and at places like the U.S. Army Wound Ballistic Research Laboratory. These aren't people that make twinkie filling the other 30 hours a week. Their work is the basis for what most leo organizations in the US base their ammunition selection decisions on today. If these men are so disconnected from what works, shouldn't we be seeing that as significant real world failures for the last 20 years or so?

That aside, what sort of numbers do you have? While I'm trying to present the other side to this guy, I'm also open to new information. How many incidents have you based your decision off of? How many shots per target, what was shot placement like, how quick was stopping, really any info you have on them would be good.

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Used it personally 4 times against single targets encountered, shots fired I would guesstimate to be 8-15 rounds in bursts of 3-5 rounds. All rounds hit target within the size of a basketball. All targets dropped immediately.
    Used once against 1 target inside a truck, about 10 rounds through the door. again, instant stop.
    I carried it as a backup to my sniper rifle as well on vehicle details where the M4 was too bulky to maneuver inside the car.

Also used by others in my detail with similar results both against soft targets, targets in vehicles and behind wooden barricades.
    We loved the little thing. recoil/muzzle rise was minimal which made for very tight groups, very easy to maneuver from target to target, very compact for close quarters and easier to conceal.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  16. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

I shot it at bullet proof acrylic and it just bounched and didn't leave a mark like a 22.

Its niuce cause of the capacity but I'd go for something in a 9mm 40 or 45 cal for daily carry, if you want an fn get the fnp9 otherwise don't bother really. You can increase the capacity to 30 rounds with a mag extender.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what do you do?

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I used to work as a contractor. now I just drive trucks part time and be a burden on society. :wavey:

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:cool: you make bank as a contractor? :naughty:

20. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Most people can't handle the badasseryness of the Five-SeveN. Its just out of most people's league.

Sorta like a Desert Eagle... but not.

21. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

True. I can't even afford one or the ammo. For once, I wish I were like Thomor, rich ass nga..

22. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I made decent money for being in the middle of a freaking war zone. :rofl:
    was a cop then got into executive protection and one day just thought "hey, why not go over to Iraq?" 1 year of that shit, then back here protecting rich fucks and their kids.

23. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

i have one somewhere..
    Its cool but ammo isnt cheap. Thus its not a great primary gun.. I carry mine one place only.. Where I need high capacity and high precision.

24. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Yeah, the range.

25. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

Fawk... I've always wanted a PS90 and a five-seven. I've heard so many pro and con arguments, but it's just one of those things... I just want one. One day I guess.