fitness n00b...would just like some input on things

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by carpet muncher, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

Hey all. I only started really caring about my body a couple weeks ago and would like to cover some things with other, more knowledgable people. I'm going to cover a range of topics and points of interest that may seem dumb to you guys but please be patient with me:

EDIT: sorry this turned out a lot longer than I expected :o

STARTING POINT

I'm 32, 5'11", 250 lbs. According to a scale I bought recently I have 22.0% body fat (much lower than I expected) and ~60% water level. Oh, the scale uses BMI to gather these measurements.

I have a beer belly and (obviously) a layer of fat all over I'd like to toss. I used to be in the USMC and had no problems w/ weight but after working at a desk for 6 years it's gotten out of hand. I drank on a regular (almost nightly) basis and smoke.

The drinking I've cut back to weekends only. If I drink, I'm trying to limit it to a couple mixed drinks - no beer.

Smoking is a different story. While I've slowed down I've by no means quit, yet.

GOAL

I'd like to drop a total of 70 lbs. or so. When I was younger and at 180 I was in good condition and had no problems going w/out a shirt, etc. Obviously I'm heavily focused on weight-loss now but I'm mixing in weights at the same time to get a head start on that aspect.

ROUTINE

I'm basically starting with something I dreamed up. Three times per week I bike to my gym (4.5 miles) at a decent pace. I don't race, but I'm not casual, either. Most of the trip is over pavement, but about a mile is undeveloped land that has some bumps, hills and sand.

When I get to the gym I hit arm, back and chest weights for an hour. I usually work with lower weights/higher reps but try to squeeze in about 15 minutes of heavier weights near the end. I'm not going to list all the machines I use simply because I'm still trying to determine exactly what to do and when.

Afterwards I bike back home (another 4.5 miles) along the same route. I use the same level of intensity on my way back except for the last mile; which I cruise as a sort of cool down period. (I've crashed twice already :o so I guess I'm toughening up my skin, too :mamoru:)

On off-days I tend to do a lot of stuff around the house - yard work, home maintenance, car maintenance, playing a little basketball w/ the kids, taking my daughter & dogs to the park, etc. I rarely get to just sit still.

DIET/DATA

Two days ago I signed up for fitwatch.com and started tracking my meals. I've tried to learn about how the graphs default to certain numbers. I think I get it but I'd like to post it here simply to confirm my understanding.

BMR: Basic Metabolic Rate? Essentially the number of calories your body should consume on a day w/out extra activities such as a workout. Mine's ridiculously high...2976 :eek3:

Calories Consumed: Obviously calories I've consumed. The last few days mine has been around 1500-1700 per day. If my BMR is correct, is it dangerous to consume too few calories? I just wonder if the gap can be too large...

Foods: Making the switch and monitoring all the details of what you eat is a hard thing to do at first.

* Breakfast: I like to start off with fruit. Usually a banana in the morning (sometimes 2) as breakfast.

* Lunch: Usually something light like a salad w/ a teaspoon of dressing...just enough for flavor.

* Dinner: Preferably baked fish or poultry. I'm still trying to nail down some variety on this but increasing my options takes some research. I like foods that are bad for me and I figure eating the most obvious things first should be beneficial in some way. After I learn more I can add more dishes.

So what does OT think? Is there anything that I should change now, in the beginning stages, that will help more down the road? Am I doing anything absolutely incorrect? Thanks for any replies and thanks for reading allthiscrapbyme.jpg

2. _Kanwisher!

_Kanwisher! Guest

i think if you were going to take it seriously, you would have already

3. carpet muncher

Okay, that's fair. I don't really have an answer to that except I'm not a robot. I do have the option to alter how I do things along the way.

PS. you didn't even read the whole thing so why bother replying?

4. carpet muncher

thanks dru. I read that second one already but hadn't seen the first.

For anyone else that bothers, this is just a high-level overview of what I'm doing. A lot of what's discussed in here seems to be low-level things and I'm still learning a lot of how X interacts with Y and how that interacts with Z, etc.

5. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

You've made several mistakes.
    1. You need a good, tried tested and true routine and not something you "dreamed up"
    2. You need a real diet, counted down to every calorie
    3. Quit drinking/smoking
    While it may take you time to achieve goal 3, the first two are essential to your success.

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

stickies!!!!

7. carpet muncher

toxicity: you're right. I hadn't thought of #1 like that but I can't argue it.

dru: thanks again for that first link. I'm reading it now and, in combination with #1 on toxicity's list, I think you two have already provided valuable info.

GTLifter: sorry :wtc: I read the stickies but didn't even notice F&N had a separate archive all it's own. my mistake

8. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

5'11 at 250 and 22% bodyfat, Im gonna doubt that measurement unless you have worked out before. How was that measured?

Routine: I would do like a HST type routine if your starting out

Diet:6small meals, start out by cutting out a couple hundred calories from what you normally eat. You dont wanna go from shoving down 4k+ calories a day to 2000k calories.

9. carpet muncher

The scale measured it by BMI (electric signal through the body). I'm sure it isn't 100% accurate and I figure it's probably off by +/- 3%. The only confirmation I have is my son recently had a body fat analysis at school (pinch method) and what they told him and what the scale determined were off by ~1%.

Can you give me a clue why a dramatic reduction in caloric intake is bad? A simple URL will work as I'm more than willing to read up on it if you have a trusted source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.