MMA Fishing around for a BJJ academy...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SaviouR, Jul 14, 2008.

1. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

Long story short, I decided to stop being a fat ass and get into shape. Once my back gets in better (4 car accidents + already health = GGPO) I'm going to venture around the Metroplex for a second home.

How much are you guys paying per months at your academies? Carlos Machado has an academy 25 minutes away from me and if I remember correctly he charges $150/month for unlimited mat time.

Travis Lutter's academy isn't willing to disclose an actual amount on the website/telephone but I know that it will be a higher premium thanks to the name and will supposedly be locked into a contract six months at a time.

Allen Mohler is one of the two BJJ BBs I know of (besides Buddy Clinton) where their lineage isn't from Carlos Machado (he has the most BBs in the area that teach) but instead he got his from Jacare of Alliance BJJ. He charges $140 a month for unlimited BJJ. I know that the style depends on the instructor, but how much of a difference will I see in Machado lineage versus Gracie lineage?

As of right now I'm leaning towards Carlos Machado's academy since it's in a nice area and I'm already in that area most of the time. If any of you guys went to the Machado Open a few months back, his academy is ~1 mile away.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Typical is around $100/month.

In NYC - it's up to $200/month but in most major citieis it's $100-$125 a month.

3. Searcher

Searcher New Member

My two instructors are from Carlos' school....they are brothers and both black belts......They are excellent......I would recommend Carlos' school based on the end product of my instructors......

4. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I train at a Machado affiliate in Mandeville, LA and pay $90 a month. We dont have a lot of mat time though.

I've heard good things about both Lutter's place and Master Machado's school. And after having attended a seminar with Master Machado I can attest that he is a very good instructor and good to work with.

5. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Honestly for the first 6 months you could be training under a blue belt and it wouldnt really matter. Dont get so caught up in the name. Go to both places, check out there people there, check out the vibe you get. Do you like the location, the commute to and from, the area of town they places are in. You are (hopefully) going to be making a big commitment of time to one of these places, try to focus your decision making on the things that will matter over the course of months and years. And get out there and try it out, not just look at websites and make calls. :bigthumb: