A&P Fisheye Lens for my Brother

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by veonake, May 27, 2009.

1. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I used to be a little into photography, but now my brother just bought a Canon Rebel XSi and my parents want to get him a fisheye lens for a graduation present. He wants a fisheye because he wants to start shooting skating/snowboarding I guess. He is pretty creative so I think this shouldn't be a problem for him.

Anyway, can someone recommend a good lens to go with around the $600 (online from a reputable retailer) range? I've taken a look at some lenses, and right now I'm leaning towards the Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX. But, then I also saw they have a 10-20mm and was wondering if that might be a better lens to have if he only has one fisheye (although I saw that it seems to have less superior optics than the fixed lens).

Thanks for the help.

2. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

the 10-22 isn't a fisheye lens, its just an ultra wide angle. but i don't know anything about fisheye, never actually used one :o

3. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

4. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

will he get a true 15mm with a canon xsi, though?

i am also looking for a fisheye, but i want that ( look on my photos.

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I have heard the tokina zoom fisheye is actually a decent lens.

I am not sure that outside of the kit lens that I would want my only other lens to be a fisheye. It is very limiting. especially if he just got a DSLR. he has got lots to learn and no one wants to look through only fishy pictures. I would go wide or ultra wide first

6. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

no.

he could go with a peleng 8mm fisheye... or I think sigma makes an 8mm fish now for crop bodies, and last but not least is the tokina 10-17mm fish... but I'm not sure if that, or the sigma is within your budget.

7. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

so the 8mm and tokina 10-17 will give me the ( look....?

8. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

yes

9. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

This. An UWA would be a better choice. Even on a crop body like the XSi, it'll still give that distorted curved look, just not as extreme, while at the same time it'll give him more range to grow as a photographer. I'd save the fisheye as a second lens imho. :wavey:

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the peleng is a very soft, and I mean very soft lens. I'd get the tokina 10-17 if the fisheye aspect is required. Otherwise, i'd get the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 as a wide angle.

the fisheye look gets very old, very quick.

11. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

I have the Sigma 10-20 and really like it.

Sigma also has a 4mm if he wants to go nuts, but for the $700 or so it costs, there are a LOT of other lenses I would pick. I can only see the 4mm being useful for virtual tours or off the wall panos.

12. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

the 15 sucks on a crop sensor camera

13. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

i have the canon 10-22. how will the tokina 10-17 give me more of a fisheye look?

diff glass in the lens?

14. sony

sony Active Member

Tokina 11-16mm fisheye
    Sigma 10mm fisheye

10-22 is rectilinear and 10-17 is diagonal fisheye at 10mm on the tokina u have 180 degrees FOV diagonally the 10-22 is probably 120 or something a lot less than 180

at 17mm it is less pronounced.. don't know the fov off the top of my head but i'm sure you could look it up if you really wanted to know

There seems to be quite a bit of sample variation with the russian lenses and because of this they don't seem like a worthwhile option, especially since you mostly have to purcahse them overseas. I've seen people with pelengs and zenitars that are very sharp and good copies, but I wouldn't recommend them considering the alternatives aren't much more expensive.

Just a warning: the 8mm fisheyes are circular fisheyes; on full frame they are contained within a square frame and are 180 degrees fov all directions (hence the circle).. on a crop body you wll be cropping the top and bottom of the circle but you will get black vignette on all four corners.. for a crop body the 10mm crop lens is a much better option (or the tokina 10-17!)

15. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Just a thought, TS and/or his parents might think ultra wide angle = fisheye.

Possibly wanna clear that up with some examples from each.

16. sony

sony Active Member

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/field_of_view.html

Here is a rough approximation using a "20mm" and a "16mm fisheye"

[​IMG]

Defishing isn't perfect but you get the idea, the fisheye is capturing 180 degrees diagonally whereas the 20mm is only doing like 90 degrees even though it is only "4mm wider". It's all how the image is getting captured.

Whether or not he should get a fisheye is up to him though. Unlike a UWA, it isn't the kind of lens you'll mount and take 90% of your shots with (at least I hope not). If he picks his spots and works the fisheye into his shooting it can add a nice compliment to his work though and it definitely will give a different perspective.

I personally love fisheyes. I've owned a Zenitar 16/2.8, Sigma 15/2.8, Sigma 8/4, and now the Tokina 10-16.

17. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

you mean the 10-17?

good info above!

18. sony

sony Active Member

dude i don't know is it 10-17??

edit: yes 10-17 i guess.. i only use it at 10mm :p